Caliber Comparison .308 vs. 30-06

spencer12

Just curious, how does everyone compare the .308 caliber to the 30-06.

Which is better at what. What are the pros and cons of each?

Tell me everything you know about the 2 calibers and better yet how they compare to each other.

I've never shot a 30-06 just a .308. So I was wondering how a .308 compares and what advantages or disadvantages the 2 guns have over each other.

Discuss.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The discussion you request would be nearly endless and pointless unless you define what you want to use them for.

tcward

Basically a tie between the two. Slightly higher velocity in 06 in comparable bullet weights. 308 is IMO a little more accurate. Short action in 308, long action in 06. Toss up to me...

spencer12

The discussion you request would be nearly endless and pointless unless you define what you want to use them for.

Just a comparison between the two, pretty simple I thought. I.E. This one shoots flatter, hits harder, better at range, kicks less/more, more practical, etc.. etc...

transfixer

.308 is more consistent with its accuracy, simply because of the shorter case, the powder generally completely burns within the barrel, so its easier to get repeatable accuracy. As well as the powder charges used for most bullet weights generally come very close to filling the empty space within the cartridge, and some completely fill it. A cartridge that doesn't have any empty space within it will burn more consistently from shot to shot.

The .06 being a larger case, is not always consistent, a lot of times depending on bullet and powder combination , you may have a charge that doesn't completely fill the void in the cartridge, leaving an air space if you will, making a uniform burn harder to repeat from shot to shot, also with a lot of loads the .06 is over-powered. Your best accuracy doesn't usually come from maximum loads.

As far as lethality or knock down power, there isn't enough difference to mention as far as I'm concerned.

deers2ward

Either is capable of handling anything in North America, as far as hunting.

If you were just going to be punching paper, the 308 is preferred, but then there would be many better alternatives like the 6.5s....creedmore, .260, etc.

The .30-06 will allow you to shoot heavier pills

If you were wanting a new hunting rifle and are trying to decide between the two, I would ask what other calibers you currently have?

aabradley82

Those 2 are almost impossible to compare since there almost identical. 30 cal at 27-2900 fps. 308 is short action, which might be a tiny accuracy advantage. 30-06 can handle heavier bullets, but that's moot for deer. I've killed deer with both. I'll always have an -06 around but 308s seem to come and go for me.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
deer, elk, moose, and triceratops do not know the difference.
I've read lots of reports that recoil is less on 308.....we have multiple rifles in both calibers in our friends and family, we've all shot them all, nobody can tell a difference in felt recoil. Maybe except for one, our Kimber 84 in 308, it weighs almost nothing, and it seems to hit the shoulder harder than our 700 in 30-06, m70 in 308, 742 in 308 and 742 in 30-06.

Smart mathmaticians can formulate the differences in the 2 in numbers on paper. It's really cool, but it all comes down to the 30-06 going like 20 more yards than 308.

30-O6 is liked cause reloaders can load the recommended powder with 180 gr where 308 may run out of room.

308 is cool cause one can have 18 or 20 inch barrels and get a full powder burn.

chase870

Possum Sox
The 30.06 will handle any animal in North America. That said I have rifles in both and never see a difference in killing White tail deer. If I ever hunt moose or big bears I would most likely go with the 30.06 as I can shoot bigger bullets

Big7

The Oracle
Check this out:

http://chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table.htm

06' is bigger better stronger faster.
Plus you can shoot heavier boolits.

And, the accuracy thing?

The .308’s have limited case capacity for the bullet weights typically used in Long-Range shooting.
They just run out of steam and dip perilously close to the transonic range as they approach 1000 yards of flight.
The extra 150 fps or so that can be safely obtained from the .30-06 case really pays off at 1000 yards.

Most folks don't shoot 1000 yards. I know.

This is just some info to consider. :biggrin2:

Jester896

Senior Clown
that would be true in the .308 with a 168 gr load but 175s don't have that issue @ 1000

spencer12

Either is capable of handling anything in North America, as far as hunting.

If you were just going to be punching paper, the 308 is preferred, but then there would be many better alternatives like the 6.5s....creedmore, .260, etc.

The .30-06 will allow you to shoot heavier pills

If you were wanting a new hunting rifle and are trying to decide between the two, I would ask what other calibers you currently have?

I am wanting a new rifle but I want a .308, I've shot my grandfathers 40 year old Remington .308 for a long time. Killed my first deer with it and many after. I would just like to retire it so to speak, seeing how I do not want to upgrade the optics and take the old iron sights off, re-drill and tap for new scope rings. I'd like to leave it as is.

That being said someone told me that if I'm wanting a .308 I might as well go ahead and get the 30-06. I just didn't see any reason to, hence this thread.

For what it's worth, I've shot .243, 25-06, .270, .300, and my .308. I'd take my .308 before any of those other calibers.

Big7

The Oracle
Well, get a .308 then.

Buckman18

Ballistically, a 308 IS a 30-06 minus 50 yards. Recoil is a bit lighter. Either is fine, you'll never shoot or see the difference.

Dr. Strangelove

Just curious, how does everyone compare the .308 caliber to the 30-06.

Which is better at what. What are the pros and cons of each?

Tell me everything you know about the 2 calibers and better yet how they compare to each other.

I've never shot a 30-06 just a .308. So I was wondering how a .308 compares and what advantages or disadvantages the 2 guns have over each other.

Discuss.

.308 is a short action
.30-06 is a long action

Otherwise, at normal GA hunting ranges (<100yds) there is essentially no realistic difference.

There are some differences between the two cartridges, but for 99% of shooters/targets, it's essentially same/same.

GunnSmokeer

I’ve never noticed an accuracy difference between them, out to 600 yards.

I’ve never noticed a difference in recoil when fired from rifles of the same weight. However on paper the 30-06 should be traveling 150 to 200 ft./s faster , so it “should” have about 7% more recoil.

I say get whichever one you want. They’re both just fine for all of the same hunting applications.

You can get 180 grain bullets for the 308, and that’s heavy enough for me; I don’t think I’d want 200 or 220 grain anyway even in a .30-06

Bam Bam

308 win is Basically a Short Action 30-06! ( I Love My Ole Savage M110 308 win)

lonewolf247

This is my thought on it. The .308 was designed to duplicate the 30-06, but in a short action case.

So that being said, if your gonna buy a rifle, in a long action platform, I'd get the 30-06. If you want a compact rifle, in a true short action platform, I'd go with the .308. Otherwise, buying a .308 in a long action platform, because some manufacturers build their rifles on the same long action platforms, for both long and short action, it sorta defeats the purpose.

In summery, in factory loaded ammo, the 30-06 typically has a slight velocity advantage, all else being equal. The .308's advantage, is to duplicate 30-06 performance, from a short action case.

Latest posts