Calling All Electricians

snooker1

It is not a specialty outlet. And that still happens now. I always put the switched half on the bottom. That way it is easier to plug something into the "always hot" half of the receptacle. I still do some like that from time to time. Depends on the homeowner and their wishes.

What is the outlet called, I can't find one or I am missing it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
What is the outlet called, I can't find one or I am missing it.
It's called a lamp outlet. Break the metal tabs in between the upper and lower screws on the sides, "daisey chain" the bottom screws as normal and run a switch leg to the top screws so one can turn on a lamp or two from the ingress.

Doug B.

It's just a regular duplex receptacle. You will see a thin piece of brass colored metal between the two hot terminals (brass colored screws). Just break the thin piece of metal with some pliers then actually connect the wire from the switch to the BOTTOM terminal. That way the bottom will be switched and it will be easier to plug something else into the "hot" top side providing you put the always hot wire to the TOP side of the receptacle. You will need to have run a three conductor plus ground wire to each receptacle that you want switched to be able to accomplish this.

snooker1

It's just a regular duplex receptacle. You will see a thin piece of brass colored metal between the two hot terminals (brass colored screws). Just break the thin piece of metal with some pliers then actually connect the wire from the switch to the BOTTOM terminal. That way the bottom will be switched and it will be easier to plug something else into the "hot" top side providing you put the always hot wire to the TOP side of the receptacle. You will need to have run a three conductor plus ground wire to each receptacle that you want switched to be able to accomplish this.

Yeah that what I have always done I was just hoping that they made a outlet specifically for that purpose. Thanks