Calling in a dog......

cuda67bnl

Shot a little 8 pointer last night just before dark. 38 yards broadside. Think I hit him a bit high and a tad forward. Almost didn’t hunt, because it rained like crazy about 5:00 last night, and I was concerned tracking might be an issue. It was......

Took my little dog down to trail him. He picked up the blood trail for me, and we trailed him for probably 120 to 150 yards. Found my broken arrow, with thick dark blood all the way up to the fletching. I hit him on the right side, and I think the bolt lodged in his left shoulder, then broke off and pushed back out as he ran off. Found some good blood and thought I’d find him piled up quickly. Then the trail just stopped. Watched my little dog, and found some more blood about 40 yards away. Trailed for another 15 yards or so and it disappeared again. We searched til 10:00 last night and gave up. Tried to call 3 different local trackers. 2 couldn’t come, and one was on his way to another tracking job.

Went back out this morning to look again. It must of rained again after we gave up last night, as the bloody arrow was washed clean. As was almost all the blood we had marked last night. I couldn’t find any more sign, so started randomly searching. Covered pretty much every inch of my place in the direction he was headed. With no luck. Extremely disappointed. I can’t stand to take something’s life and not put it to use.

Couldn’t get a local dog today either, but found one 2 counties away that’s gonna give it a shot. But he can’t come til later today. Will be interesting to see if his bulldog can trail a washed away blood trail this old. The meat won’t be any good, but I want to at least try and find It.315C859E-A3ED-4D81-AED7-2289FAB64869.jpeg

BGA

I had something similar happen to me.. Good blood for a while then the case went COLD. I followed his last known path for about 100 yards before I could see him another 200 yards away... Seemed like a piece of flesh or bone stopped the bleeding from exiting the carcass. It had pooled up inside... If you can, just keep heading the direction he was last going even if you think "there is no way"... you may find what you are looking for

cuda67bnl

I’ve had this happen before too, BGA. But the dog found him. I’m willing to bet that my dog likely found the deer last night, but he doesn’t mind, and he disappears in the woods. I couldn’t keep up with him. He came back after awhile last night, and I got him on the trail again. That’s how I found the trail again after losing it the first time. He continued a certain direction, but I could never find any more sign or the deer. Hopefully the dog coming later will get it done. I’m confident the deer is dead.

cuda67bnl

tracking dog never showed up....... maybe I’ll stumble onto him or smell him

stringmusic

To Be Determined
I wouldn’t call that a little 8, that’s a pretty good buck....

Hope you find him, stinks you’re having such a hard time getting another tracking dog.