Campfire meats........will and won’t eats

Thread starter #1

Spotlite

We usually grill the deer heart to snack on while cooking other stuff. But I was at a buddies camp and they were grilling lungs.........negative.

My first thought was lungs filling up with other stuff when dying.

I’d probably try deer liver and onions though.

Thread starter #3
I take it you are not a fan of boudin noir or black pudding.

When I was hunting in SE GA many years ago, "liver and lights (lung) stew" was staple.

Like you, I could handle the liver, actually liked it, but the lights were just not my cup of tea.
I’ve had my share of hog lights. One of my favorite things when my Grandad killed his hogs.

But deer...............can’t get passed the thought of how many I’ve heard gurgling after being shot. Lungs got to be full of something.

The only time I get squirrel and rice is when I am at deer camp. My wife would skin me alive if I brought some home and cooked them in my house. I'm talking change me from a rooster to a hen. She has one as a pet. keeps her in a ferret cage I modified in our bedroom. No joke. She is 11 years old.

I believe the ethical thing to do is to use as much of the animal as you possibly can. However, I tend to stay away from the innards other than the heart. Where I hunt in WI there is confirmed CWD all around me and frankly, I'm just not very comfortable handling nor consuming any other organs. I do love me some liver and onions, but only from a cow.

The only time I get squirrel and rice is when I am at deer camp. My wife would skin me alive if I brought some home and cooked them in my house. I'm talking change me from a rooster to a hen. She has one as a pet. keeps her in a ferret cage I modified in our bedroom. No joke. She is 11 years old.
I don't think I would be on here telling everyone your wife is 11 yrs old...

:cheers:

I just haven’t been hungry enough I guess..to do lungs,etc. They have to have a funky(gross)texture..with all of the little air sacs(alveoli),veins,and such going thru them!