Campfire meats........will and won’t eats

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We usually grill the deer heart to snack on while cooking other stuff. But I was at a buddies camp and they were grilling lungs.........negative.

My first thought was lungs filling up with other stuff when dying.

I’d probably try deer liver and onions though.

JackSprat

I take it you are not a fan of boudin noir or black pudding.

When I was hunting in SE GA many years ago, "liver and lights (lung) stew" was staple.

Like you, I could handle the liver, actually liked it, but the lights were just not my cup of tea.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I take it you are not a fan of boudin noir or black pudding.

When I was hunting in SE GA many years ago, "liver and lights (lung) stew" was staple.

Like you, I could handle the liver, actually liked it, but the lights were just not my cup of tea.
I’ve had my share of hog lights. One of my favorite things when my Grandad killed his hogs.

But deer...............can’t get passed the thought of how many I’ve heard gurgling after being shot. Lungs got to be full of something.

We usually grill the deer heart to snack on while cooking other stuff. But I was at a buddies camp and they were grilling lungs.........negative.

I’d probably try deer liver and onions though.

I worked with a lady friend from the Ukraine. She would eat every deer liver that I salvaged for her.

ugajay

Like y'all I enjoy the heart and will eat the liver, but I don't think I could bring myself to eat lungs. I guess it would depend on if I had been brought up eating it

The only time I get squirrel and rice is when I am at deer camp. My wife would skin me alive if I brought some home and cooked them in my house. I'm talking change me from a rooster to a hen. She has one as a pet. keeps her in a ferret cage I modified in our bedroom. No joke. She is 11 years old.

BeerThirty

I believe the ethical thing to do is to use as much of the animal as you possibly can. However, I tend to stay away from the innards other than the heart. Where I hunt in WI there is confirmed CWD all around me and frankly, I'm just not very comfortable handling nor consuming any other organs. I do love me some liver and onions, but only from a cow.

hunter rich

The only time I get squirrel and rice is when I am at deer camp. My wife would skin me alive if I brought some home and cooked them in my house. I'm talking change me from a rooster to a hen. She has one as a pet. keeps her in a ferret cage I modified in our bedroom. No joke. She is 11 years old.

I don't think I would be on here telling everyone your wife is 11 yrs old...

:cheers:

sleepr71

I just haven’t been hungry enough I guess..to do lungs,etc. They have to have a funky(gross)texture..with all of the little air sacs(alveoli),veins,and such going thru them!

Gumpbuck

Whatever my wife packed from Whole Foods... We eat plenty of venison at home and at camp. But she sends me up with healthy stuff because she knows I'll eat junk food if she doesn't.

Tmpr111

I eat the lights and everything else at home, so whether in the woods or not, it’s all the same.

If most didn’t know they were eating liver or the heart, I’d bet many would choose it over a lot of other things.