Camping?

Toddmann

How many of you all camp most every weekend during the turkey season? I was talking to a guy today who camps during the season. I have camped a few times over the years but mostly out of necessity not to just enjoy camping. l'm not talking about those who camp in their blinds waiting for the sun to rise on their decoys. I am talking tents a fire and some good old style camp cooking. Most times if I hunt far from home I opt for a cheap hotel cause I hate not to have a long shower after a full day hunting.

ChattNFHunter

I usually camp opening weekend of Turkey season with a few friends. I also tend to set up a several day hunt with friends for deer and turkey season every year that we camp out for a few days or more. I always enjoy it too!

six

I grew up doing it and enjoyed it as a kid and even as a young man. Now the camper/tents have been replaced with a Mobil home on the property which I enjoy now as an adult. I much prefer the comforts of a home away from home now.

QuackAttack101

I camped every weekend of the season last year, save one or two. My club is about 1.5 hours from home, and I like to stay out there and get that extra 1.5 hours of sleep. Like Todd said though, it was rough without a shower after walking all day, but it was the price I had to pay to chase the long beards so I did it. I was fortunate enough to purchase an old camper before deer season this year. It isn't much, but it has a bed and a shower. I am definitely looking forward to being able to shower after a long day of hunting.

Gut_Pile

I usually do it at least once a season. Either sleep in a tent with cots or sleep in the front seat of my truck. Turkey camp is one of my favorite things

tr21

weekend's !!! I camp almost the whole season, bought a 34ft camper just for turkey season. cant beat sitting next to a fire after a long day in da woods chasin old thunder chicken's then wake up da next day and chase em some more ! :yeah: :banana:

Stickman1

Try spending 11 days camping out of the back of a truck lol. I did it almost every turkey season. Always was the first one at the pole gate lol.

Toddmann

I was hunting in Wyoming and ran into a guy who was a sheetrocker. Every year for the last ten years he would take a month off from work and start in FL and hunt public land stopping at states along the way camping in the bed of his truck and end up in SD/WY every year. He killed a bird that morning. He said he kills a bird in that same spot almost every year.

Last edited:

QuackAttack101

I was hunting in Wyoming and ran into a guy who was a sheetrocker. Every year for that last ten years he would take a week a month off from work and start in FL and hunt public land stopping at states along the way camping in the bed of his truck and end up in SD/WY every year. He killed a bird that morning. He said he kills a bird in that same spot almost every year.

Now that sounds like a good use of PTO. Wonder if I can convince my boss to let me follow in his footsteps :huh:

My dad and I camp every weekend of the season. We have a blast around the camp fire enjoying stories of hunts past. That to me makes turkey season special. That first campfire the night before the opener is when you know the season is finally here. All that's left now is trying to get some sleep!!!!

Killdee

Most of my camping is done on the piedmont hunt when drawn, we have a camp house at the club but Im the only turkey hunter so I dont stay over much there. I do have a tent camp on the creek at my property under tarps that my wife use every summer and I stay over sometimes and use a solar bag to heat up water for showers. I would love to do what that drywall man does, doubt he's married!!!!! Sounds like Mr. Truelove, a buddy of mine asked him 1 time if he went grouse hunting last year, he said yes son I went 1 time, stayed 47 days!!!!!!

Wayne D Davis

My cousin and I camp every year on 2 Piedmont Ref. hunts and BF Grant primitive hunt. He ran a club many years but its to much for him now days. I bring my tent and he brings his old army tent. We rough it with make shift bird baths (cold water , scent free soap and a rag)....some great food and him playing his ukalayle...guitar (bad spellin) We are not fair-weather hunters by no means

Wayne D Davis

My cousin and I camp every year on 2 Piedmont Ref. hunts and BF Grant primitive hunt. He ran a club many years but its to much for him now days. I bring my tent and he brings his old army tent. We rough it with make shift bird baths (cold water , scent free soap and a rag)....some great food and him playing his ukalayle...guitar (bad spellin) We are not fair-weather hunters by no means

Piedmont does have a bath house though which is a plus

turkeykirk

I was hunting in Wyoming and ran into a guy who was a sheetrocker. Every year for the last ten years he would take a month off from work and start in FL and hunt public land stopping at states along the way camping in the bed of his truck and end up in SD/WY every year. He killed a bird that morning. He said he kills a bird in that same spot almost every year.

Sure would like to have the GPS coordinates for that spot!?

Toddmann

Sure would like to have the GPS coordinates for that spot!��

Me too. I did not have a GPS but my buddy did. It was a sweet spot. I didn't even know he was in there. He wasn't to far from me when he shot and I know he saw my truck in there. I was there really early. 3 billion acres to hunt on and he is the only hunter I see the whole trip and he hunts right on top of me. Did I mention he was from FLORIDA!:banginghe

Toddmann

I really need to take my boys camping this year.

Curtis-UGA

I'll take my camper down to piedmont for a few days. Really enjoy camping. Camper does have all the comforts of home until quiet time and I have to kill the generator!

Timber1

BANNED
Once or twice a season for 4 or 5 days at a couple different spots is what I shoot for. Last couple years just once is all I managed.

Bo D

We camp opening week in south florida we take a 25g atv tank sprayer with a shower nozzle been doin it like that for the last 15yrs and we wouldnt want it any other way.

Latest posts