Can a Man Be Saved from Sin or Born Again More Than Once?

Thread starter #1
This question is like having to answer whether a man once lost in the woods was really lost; or, having been found, could ever be lost again; still, having been lost again, could he ever be found again? Or, if a man was ever saved from drowning in a lake, could it be possible that he could again fall into the lake and drown? Such questions as these are answered by common sense, as well as the Bible. Anyone knows it is possible that any thing can be lost and found many times.
The whole trouble with certain teachers is that they think being "born again" is the same in ever sense as a physical birth, and much false teaching is based upon this assumption. The new birth is a moral change, not a physical one. It is a change of heart, will, motives, desires, life, and conduct, but not of organism. The very moment a man decides to turn to God, and truly repents and believes the gospel, this moral change takes place (Mark 1:15; 2 Cor. 5:17; 7:9, 10; Rom. 1:16; 3:24, 25; 8:1-13; John 8:34; 2 Pet. 1:18-23; 1 John 5). The very moment the same man decides to transgress, and lust has conceived, it brings forth sin; and when sin is finished, it brings forth death and a moral fall again. (Jas. 1:13-15; 5:19-20; Rom. 6:11-23; 8:1-13; John 8:34; 2 Pet. 2:19-22; Heb. 10:26-39). One then ceases to be a child of God and is again a child of the devil (John 8:34, 44; Eph. 2:1-3; 1 John 3:8-10; Rom. 6:14-22).
It is just as easy to be unborn as to be "born again" because one is a moral fall and the other is a moral restoration. It is simply a reversal of the same process. Man has always been the failing party, and there is no reflection on God or failure of His plan if man fails of the grace of God (Gal. 5:4; Heb. 12:14-15). As long as this is possible man can and will fail under grace as under law, if he does not keep spiritual and wholly yielded and obedient to God (Rom. 6:11-22; 8:1-13). In fact, it is God's plan that whoever turns from sin will be restored morally, and whoever of his own will goes back into sin, will have a mortal fall and be lost, if he continues in sin until death. God cannot deal with man contrary to His own plan and still be just and true to His own word.
This moral change, in being unborn and "born again" does not change man's constitution in any sense. The bodily members, soul passions, and spirit faculties are there just as they are after every change. They are merely brought under bondage to the spirit and nature of the devil by the moral fall when one is unborn, and they are brought back into freedom from sin and Satan and under the control of the spirit and nature of God by the moral restoration when one is "born again" This is all that takes place in either case. It can happen as many times as a man chooses and yields to either the devil or God to serve one or the other. Every time a moral restoration by new birth is necessary, it can happen if a man will turn back to serve God. Every time a man is morally restored, he is under the possibility of a moral fall, as were Adam and Eve to begin with. God's plan is that man should be morally restored only once(Rom. 6:6-10), but if any man sins he has an advocate with the Father to be restored again (1 John 2:1, 2).

The following facts in scripture prove that man can be lost in sin, found again, and go through the same process many times.
(1) All men were at one time safe in Adam and had eternal life, and never would have died if they had not sinned in Adam (Rom. 5:12-21). If Adam had lived free from sin, he would not had died (Gen. 2:17). If men ever regain this original position in God, they will have to be saved from there sins that separated them from God (Isa.59:2; Matt. 1:21; John 3:16; Eph.2:1-9). If men started out in such a sinless state and were restored once, then, if it ever becomes necessary, they can be restored again and again. Otherwise there would be no point in the gospel, which provides forgiveness of sins as often as it is needful (John 1:9; 2:1, 2; Matt. 18:21-35).
(2) Peter was once converted, sanctified, and justified. After this Jesus foretold of backsliding and the need of conversion again: "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for thee that faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen the brethren. And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death [in other words, I am converted and will stay true to thee]. And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knows me" (Luke 22:31-34).
Denying Christ and committing sin constitutes backsliding and makes one a sinner. " Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin" applies to Peter as it does to everyone since. He cursed and swore and therefore had a moral fall and needed conversion, as well as anyone else who would do this(Mark 14:66-72). He went out immediately and repented and was converted again, fulfilling the prophecy of Jesus of his backsliding and conversion. Thus he was converted twice after meeting Jesus.
(3) James taught a conversion again after one had backslidden: "Brethren if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him, let him know, that he that converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins." What could be more clear than this, that when saved men commit sin they are sinners again and have to be saved from sin and death again, or experience eternal "death"?(James 5:19-20).
(4) Paul taught that men can be reconverted and that men can be born again more than once: " Because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness , if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou shalt be cut off. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: For God is able to graff them in again" (Rom. 11:18-24). This passage teaches that men now saved can be lost, and men who were once saved and partaking of the root and fatness of the olive tree, but were broken off because of unbelief, can be saved and restored to their own place "again" if they abide not still in unbelief. This would make twice they are saved. If it can happen twice, it can happen as many times as necessary.
(5) In 2 Tim. 2:25, 26, Paul speaks of the possibility of men " who concerning the truth have erred" and who " overthrow the faith of some" (2 Tim. 2:18), that they could come back to " repentance and acknowledging of the truth; and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who were taken captive by him at his will." What would this recovery be but reconversion and a new birth again? It is exactly a restoration from a moral fall as when they were first born again.
(6) In the book of Galatians, Paul taught a rebirth: " My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be form in you" (Gal. 4:19). These believers had been saved and born again once before this, but they had been removed from Christ and the gospel: " I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel . . . . ye are fallen from grace (Gal. 1:6-9; 5:4). If they were removed from Christ and grace, then they were no longer in Christ and Grace. If they were removed from the gospel and grace, they were no in either. They were " bewitched " from obeying " the truth" Paul asked them, having begun in the spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal. 3:1-5). When Paul spoke of the flesh he referred to the sins of the flesh, as in Gal. 5:19-21. He added that " they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." They were going back to idolatry again, and he was afraid his labour had been in vain (Gal. 3:8-11). He told them to stand fast in the liberty wherewith Christ had made them free, and stated that they were "fallen from grace" (Gal. 5:1-7). He plainly told them that " once in grace always in grace " was not true in there case. He told those who had not fallen how to restore those who had fallen: "Brethren if a man be overtaken in a fault [Greek, sin], ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted " (Gal. 6:1). This proves that save men can sin and must be restored to be saved. He warned that those who had not sinned should take heed lest they also sin. If a man who has sinned needs restoration, then he needs the new birth as much as any other sinner, and must again the moral change that comes with the new birth, or be lost like any other sinner (Gal. 5:19-21). Paul continued by telling the Galatians that what a man sowed he would reap. This applies to the saints as well as the sinner. How often a man sows, that often a man will reap (Gal. 6:7, 8). A man might as well argue, Once sowed always sowed, and no reaping is necessary, or Once reaped always reaped, and no sowing again is possible, as to argue Once in grace always in grace. Such line of reasoning is illogical and foolish, and nothing is to be gained except deceiving oneself if one wants to sin and still believe he is saved.

Last edited:
Read the first 9 verses of Ephesians 2. See I don't believe a "dead man"(Paul's words) can in your words "turn to God". I also don't believe we can lose what we can not gain. See you reason that man turns to and away from God. I reason that God turns to us and saves us and once we are His, He never lets us go.

SGADawg

I am saved from sin daily because I sin daily. Being born again is not a moral change but a spiritual change. We are born again by the gift of grace. There is nothing we can do to earn it, therefore, there is nothing we can do to lose it. If we believe we can lose our salvation then we believe that God is limited in His power to save.

hobbs27

Born into the family of God as a child of God is not something that comes and goes. You either are, or you aren't.

Read the first 9 verses of Ephesians 2. See I don't believe a "dead man"(Paul's words) can in your words "turn to God". I also don't believe we can lose what we can not gain. See you reason that man turns to and away from God. I reason that God turns to us and saves us and once we are His, He never lets us go.
So your a Calvinist then

Banjopicker,
You sound as if you are using the two terms "born again" and "conversion" interchangeably, as if they are the same. They are quite different.

There are really only two positions a person can have on this matter. One is that salvation is by grace, and the other is that salvation is by works. It cannot be a combination of both.

I tend to go back and forth on this issue. I find scripture that supports both.

My flesh tells me things happen by chance or the effects of my actions. My car's ignition coil leaves me stranded or I freeze all night from not having a warm sleeping bag. Another example is a forceful river cuts through the land and forms a giant canyon. Animals evolve and mutate into other forms.
Cancer randomly attacking certain individuals. Some randomly overcoming cancer.

My spiritual side sees a God who made Pharaoh for a specific purpose. A God who opened the eyes of Saul who became Paul.
A God who reserved for himself seven thousand. A remnant chosen by grace and not of works, lest it not be grace.

A God that hardened the others until later. A God that gave them eyes of stupor. A God whose gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. A God that has bound everyone over to disobedience in order to show mercy to them all. How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!

An omniscient God that orchestrated a chain of events from Adam to Jesus and all points in between.

Last edited:
Logic;

If your salvation isn't 100% from God's grace, then it's not grace.

Romans 11:6
And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.

Now using that formula, wouldn't it stand to reason that if you fall from grace, it would also be God's doings? I'm not saying that God can't do that but regardless it's not based on your works.
God didn't choose you based on your works so why would he dismiss you based on your works?

If you can fall, what works will cause you to fall? Since your salvation wasn't based on your righteousness, what amount of unrighteousness can make you fall?

If salvation is all about works, why didn't you just live a better life without Jesus's death? Why not just atone to God your sins? Just save yourself by living a better life. If one could do this, then they wouldn't need Jesus.

The whole concept of Christianity is that none of us can do that. So if you as an individual needed the death of Christ to attain salvation, what makes you think you can get to Heaven by works?

If you can get to Heaven any other way then Jesus died in vain.

Say you are living on a remote island four hundred years ago. Could you suddenly start to believe in God without the effectual calling by the Holy Spirit? Never hearing the Gospel?
How can anyone be saved any other way than grace? Hopefully not by the works of man reaching these people.

hobbs27

Say you are living on a remote island four hundred years ago. Could you suddenly start to believe in God without the effectual calling by the Holy Spirit? Never hearing the Gospel?
How can anyone be saved any other way than grace? Hopefully not by the works of man reaching these people.
say you are a native American 800 years ago. You don't know Christ, how could you be saved?
There is only one way to the Father and it's not by worshipping false gods or spirits.

I would guess it's the same way one is saved today. Otherwise one's salvation is based on the work of hearing the Gospel.

If that is a requirement then the missionary way is far more unfair than the election way.

Last edited:

j_seph

Romans 4:24-25
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

If Christ died for our sins, raised from the dead for our justification then once we are saved and backslide, sin, who will die for us again? My Jesus died once for me, we will all backslide/sin at some point. How could we be saved over and over?

Romans 4:24-25
24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

If Christ died for our sins, raised from the dead for our justification then once we are saved and backslide, sin, who will die for us again? My Jesus died once for me, we will all backslide/sin at some point. How could we be saved over and over?
Good point J_seph.

Hebrews points out that Jesus ,after He had ONCE atoned for the sins of the people, sat down.(the work was forever finished).
The old testament priests' work was never finished.They continued year after year.

But notice,even though the atonement is finished forever, He "ever liveth to make intercession for us".

Romans 5:10 says it in a nutshell:

10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

hobbs27

I would guess it's the same way one is saved today. Otherwise one's salvation is based on the work of hearing the Gospel.

If that is a requirement then the missionary way is for more unfair than the election way.
If I understand you correctly, you're saying God elected some men in the past that never knew Jesus?
This is my problem with the election doctrine. It doesn't need nor does it require Jesus.

Romans 11:29
for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

Who has God promised salvation too? If it is every single person in the whole world then who is responsible for every single person's soul in the world?
Do you feel responsible for us never reaching the lost souls of the past generations? How is that fair to you or them? You for not reaching and them for never hearing.
It just seems like a terrible plan for an omniscient God to make one's salvation dependent on another man. Man has only reached a small amount of the world's population. God can reach all or whomever he desires. It's more fair that way.