Can a 'printing' concealed weapon get you in trouble?

BoneHunter77

I realize this video isn't about a weapon that prints. Instead it's about a weapon open-carried in the state of FL which is strictly prohibited. However, if you watch the video, the LEO arrests the feller for this and the guy asks why he's being arrested. The LEO states it's because he could see his weapon.
This raises the question: If a LEO sees a concealed weapon printing under your shirt can they take action like this too? Or did this LEO have a poor choice of words and should have said it's because he was open carrying?

Last edited by a moderator:

Luke0927

Luckily we don't have this issue in GA, it's a bad law honestly, it has been ruled in the courts the mere presence of a firearm is not probably cause to stop and detain. FL residents should push to change their law.

BoneHunter77

well let's say you're walking in a parking lot of a grocery store and a LEO walks buy you and sees it printing. Does he have any leg to stand on by ordering you to remove the weapon or yourself from the property? Meanwhile you have a respectful demeanor about you.

lbzdually

Banned
I would remove the link asap, bonehunter.

FROGSLAYER

If you are asking about this happening in FL I would say ask a lawyer. I think UNLESS there is a law that specifically states you can not reveal that you have a gun while in public with a permit or not, that you would be at the mercy of the cop you are strolling past. I do not think all cops would react the way the one in the video did. But if he did there is not much you could do about it until you had your day in court. There are tons of videos on the web showing people getting harassed, detained, etc while carrying with-in the law.

If there is a law prohibiting "revealing" your gun then yeah, he has a pretty good leg to stand on.

Like Luke said ... I'm glad we do not have to worry about it in GA ... If you are from Georgia and are planning a trip to Florida, or from FL ... and have a permit to carry I would make dang sure it was concealed and stayed that way. ;) Then no worries. Oh and make sure your tags are not expired LOL

OrlandoBrent

I'm a FL CWP holder and take pains to make sure I'm not printing while carrying. OTOH, a couple of years ago we had a bill pending that covered the case of inadvertent flashing of your concealed weapon. I thought it passed, so unless you were completely negligent about the printing, I think you should be OK.

Never, never, never rely upon an Internet forum to correctly answer legal questions that could result in a felony arrest. :smash:

cowhornedspike

I believe in FL concealed means that nobody can tell you are carrying. I've heard that printing can get you into trouble.

I make sure mine doesn't print when in FL and anytime for that matter.

I agree with the admonition above.

HALOJmpr

Florida passed an "inadvertent disclosure" bill in 2011. Prior to the bill it would have been a crime to have the wind blow your jacket open and display your concealed weapon. It was Florida State Bill 234.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I realize this video isn't about a weapon that prints. Instead it's about a weapon open-carried in the state of FL which is strictly prohibited. However, if you watch the video, the LEO arrests the feller for this and the guy asks why he's being arrested. The LEO states it's because he could see his weapon.
This raises the question: If a LEO sees a concealed weapon printing under your shirt can they take action like this too? Or did this LEO have a poor choice of words and should have said it's because he was open carrying?

I am lost here........according to the Packing website, Florida Reciprocates with GA........when I go down there, am I not allowed to open carry with my GWCL?

I dont see wearing a Jacket in FL:huh:

cowhornedspike

I am lost here........according to the Packing website, Florida Reciprocates with GA........when I go down there, am I not allowed to open carry with my GWCL?

I dont see wearing a Jacket in FL:huh:

GA laws don't matter once you are in FL. Just because the permit is accepted doesn't mean the GA laws apply there. You need to study up on this before leaving GA as every state has different laws which must be followed there.

BoneHunter77

weapon printing is where the outline of the gun is showing through your shirt, pants, shorts, etc. It may be slightly printing or it may be bulging from your apparel.
Based on the replies I've gotten and reading up on it some more my opinion is one could expect to be questioned by law enforcement and maybe even verbally reprimanded for heavy printing but in all likely hood you wouldn't be breaking a law.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
weapon printing is where the outline of the gun is showing through your shirt, pants, shorts, etc. It may be slightly printing or it may be bulging from your apparel.
Based on the replies I've gotten and reading up on it some more my opinion is one could expect to be questioned by law enforcement and maybe even verbally reprimanded for heavy printing but in all likely hood you wouldn't be breaking a law.

another explanation....if you put a folding knife in your back pocket, where the 'outline' can be seen, it's considered to be a concealed weapon, and, off to jail you go....

but, if you carry a knife on your belt, in a leather pouch, it's ok.

duh.

concealed means HIDDEN. not able to be seen.