Can anyone explain this law?

red neck richie

What is the purpose of having to have a carry permit to have a pistol while bow hunting? Why is it ok for someone with a permit to do so but not others on private property? Seems kind of silly to me. If I'm out in the woods and run across a pack of coyote or wild dogs or a rabid animal that are aggressive I want more that a bow on me to protect myself from the threat. You would think DNR could tell the difference between a broad head or a bullet wound if they are worried about people shooting deer with a pistol during bow season. I'm wondering if they are trying to force people to buy a permit.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m pretty sure if your pistol is concealed as the permit requires not even a game warden will ask do u have a pistol permit. If he can’t see it.
Why do u ask this question
“Pistol Packing Pete”

red neck richie

I’m pretty sure if your pistol is concealed as the permit requires not even a game warden will ask do u have a pistol permit. If he can’t see it.
Why do u ask this question
“Pistol Packing Pete”
I dont conceal it I carry it on my side on my property. Why does it have to be concealed? That dont make for easy access.

Last edited:

livetohunt

It seems like you always have a problem with game laws or laws in general. Why is that?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I dont conceal it I carry it on my side on my property. Why does it have to be concealed?
Why do u have a game warden on your property ? It’s your property.

They don’t want you to have a firearm period ! During bow season if your bow hunting. That’s just the way they look at it. They allow conceal carry because that’s the law where folks carry about everywhere.
As the warden in my areas says. I can carry the bow hunting deer. My friend can carry the rifle hunting hogs. The deer had better not have a bullet hole.
A bullet brusises. A arrow cuts.
I guess they have to draw a line somewhere.

red neck richie

Why do u have a game warden on your property ? It’s your property.

They don’t want you to have a firearm period ! During bow season if your bow hunting. That’s just the way they look at it. They allow conceal carry because that’s the law where folks carry about everywhere.
As the warden in my areas says. I can carry the bow hunting deer. My friend can carry the rifle hunting hogs. The deer had better not have a bullet hole.
A bullet brusises. A arrow cuts.
I guess they have to draw a line somewhere.
That's my question. Why is the line drawn there? They can obviously tell a broad head from a bullet hole. If I shoot a deer at dusk with my bow wait 45 minutes for it to expire. Get down from the stand find it and field dress it before the coyotes find it. I want my pistol with me in case they try to claim my deer.

jakebuddy

I’m sure intent is hard thing for either you or the game warden to prove. You asked to explain the law well I think those that passed that law were trying to prevent folks from being greedy and probably when the law originated the concealed carry thing wasn’t what it is now. I tend not to see the great conspiracy behind every law. Just my thoughts.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I didn’t have any problems meeting the requirements for a carry permit. Hardest part is giving the county that $$$$

red neck richie

BTW I still haven't heard anybody explain the reasoning behind the law? Other than they have to draw the line somewhere. Really? You cant tell a bullet hole from broad head?

Latest posts