Can anyone explain this law?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Dylan and I were in a deer stand together 2 years ago. We stayed until it got right dark. You couldn't see over 10ft or so out of that deer stand. I whispered to Dylan, 'Are you ready to head home' and he said yeah... He stood up in that deer stand, and about 10 yards behind us on top of the hill a band of 'yotes started howling. It was enough to raise the hair up on the back of my neck. We didn't have any idea they were that close, and I don't think they knew we were there either.

rosewood

More a question than an argument. Why should I pay $75 dollars to protect myself on private property that I own or rent? You still haven't answered other than they have to draw a line some where.

I tend to agree. We shouldn't have to pay. Maybe just a background check when off private property, but that is the way the laws are written. We have tons of laws that make absolutely no logical sense. Why can't you have a rifle with a barrel less than 16" or a shotgun less than 18" without a permit. Are they somehow more dangerous? There is no such thing as a short barreled rifle in Canada, go figure.

Congress do not always pass laws that makes sense, and trying to understand their logic is a lost cause. Find a GA congressman and see if you can get him to bring up a bill to change this. Maybe join GCO and see if they will take up the towel.

I don't go in the woods without my handgun. I have a weapons permit and have had one since I turned 21. Not scared of anything. Can't recall ever feeling like I was in serious danger, but it only takes one time to be attacked by coyotes, or hogs or even a bear that you got to close to her cubs. For those that say "I have never had an issue", I repeat, it only takes once and I want to be ready if that once ever occurs.

Carrying on private property without a permit is allowed. You have to have a hunting license to hunt, DNR requires you to have a carry permit if you also want to carry during that season. You have to follow "their" rules to hunt. Not allowing pistol carry just makes the DNR's job easier so they don't have to distinguish between a bullet wound and arrow wound I guess. As usual, we are all punished for the crimes of a few.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
More a question than an argument. Why should I pay $75 dollars to protect myself on private property that I own or rent? You still haven't answered other than they have to draw a line some where.
Short answer: you don't. You can carry a pistol on you on your private property at any time. If you choose to bow hunt, then you have to follow sate game laws, even on your own land. You can't kill ten bucks because they're on your property, and you can't carry a pistol bow hunting without a permit, simply because that's the law. You can carry it out to extremes. You also can't murder people on your private property, or make meth or likker, or catch deer with snares or 330 conibears. I also wouldn't recommend you to ride around your own property at night shining a light with a rifle in your truck.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
As far as the bullet hole vs the arrow hole, It's more of the "before the shot" temptation in their eyes I'm sure. Although I'd be much more likely (like 99.9 percent) to kill a deer at 25 yards with a bow versus just scaring the fool out of one or shooting his hoof off at 25 yards with a glock

I am going to attempt to explain it.

If you have on your person a valid weapons carry permit, The DNR cannot write you up for having that weapon during archery season.

If you do not have on your person a valid weapons carry permit and you are found to have on your person a centerfire weapon during archery season the DNR can write you up for hunting during archery season with a centerfire weapon.

Now, we all can argue the laws intent. But, the DNR will only look over a pistol on your person with a valid weapons carry permit. I would not attempt to carry both a shotgun with my bow, or a rifle with your bow during archery. You would be asking to go to court and stand before the judge an explain yourself.

And, for those who will argue "I am hunting hogs"....there better be some hog sign.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I thought legalizing bait was going to end all this and everything would be unicorns and rainbows?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
BTW I still haven't heard anybody explain the reasoning behind the law? Other than they have to draw the line somewhere. Really? You cant tell a bullet hole from broad head?
I had a friend that shot a deer with his bow. The deer ran off. When we found it it was still very much alive but wasn't trying to get away anymore. I shot it with my pistol to finish it off.When we got to the gate the Game warden was there and started questioning the gun shot.We were separated and ask repeatedly about the chain of events. They thought we shot the deer with the pistol and then shot it with an arrow to cover it up. Once I showed them the angle of entry and exit they were not happy,but let us go. This was in the 1980's.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had a friend that shot a deer with his bow. The deer ran off. When we found it it was still very much alive but wasn't trying to get away anymore. I shot it with my pistol to finish it off.When we got to the gate the Game warden was there and started questioning the gun shot.We were separated and ask repeatedly about the chain of events. They thought we shot the deer with the pistol and then shot it with an arrow to cover it up. Once I showed them the angle of entry and exit they were not happy,but let us go. This was in the 1980's.
They finally addressed this in NC a few years ago, and wrote it into the law where you can use a pistol to finish off a wounded deer that you shot with a bow. It specifies a .22 pistol during bow season.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
They finally addressed this in NC a few years ago, and wrote it into the law where you can use a pistol to finish off a wounded deer that you shot with a bow. It specifies a .22 pistol during bow season.
I shot it with a 44 mag thru the top of the noggin. Explained the deer would have had to been directly under me to shot it. Had to take them back to the bow shot and show them we tracked the deer 300 yards to where I dispatched it.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The carry permit doesn't authorize you to finish off a wounded deer during archery season with your pistol.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
To clarify my post, NC is where you can legally dispatch a wounded deer with a .22 pistol during archery season, not GA.

rosewood

ripplerider

Hows that? Never leaves your wallet?:bounce:

Priceless I think this one went over some peoples head. It's a law because if there wasnt such a law unfortunately some folks would tote their pistols during archery season, have a deer pass by out of bow range but not pistol range or cross in a spot too thick to snake an arrow through, and use their pistol on the deer. Unfortunately I was in a club with a guy who did just that. He tried to lie about it but when you come out of the woods with three deer from one archery hunt and you've been showing off your new Contender all weekend its not too hard to figure out, especially when you help skin and butcher them. There arent enough game wardens to check a tenth of all harvested deer for bullet holes so there goes that argument. And the odds are very much greater that you'll get hurt in an automobile driving to your hunting spot than get hurt by a wild animal. Get you a good heavy walking stick if your worried about critters.

delacroix

BANNED

You don't own that land. The tax assessor can decide you aren't going to pay your taxes on time and take it whenever they want. You can only own land if you are able to defend it from anyone who would take it. You can't. The government can. So, they get to make you pay what they want and tell you want you can do on their land.

rosewood

It is called extortion.