Can Freddie Freeman pull it off?

Coenen

Yeah, why not? There have been quite a few "Dark Horse" winners in years gone by.

I like the Derby, and I think they've finally really nailed the format here in the last couple of years. Was surprised that only one AL player elected to participate this season though, that was a bit of a downer.

Could we get a bonus round "Blast off" with Albies v. Altuve? It'd be a hoot to see the two of them head to head.

TinKnocker

I hope he fails miserably at the HR Derby. It's better than winning and falling victim to the HRD Curse.

DannyW

I hope he fails miserably at the HR Derby. It's better than winning and falling victim to the HRD Curse.

This.

Those who doubt the HRD curse should look at the 1st half/ 2nd half splits of the 2015 winner (Todd Frazier) and the 2017 winner (Judge). I think more than a curse, it's a self inflicted malody where the HRD winner believes that he has to validate that he was a worthy winner of the contest by trying to hit a homerun in every at bat for the rest of the season.

someguyintraffic

Albies should have been in it. 20 hr 9 off MLB leader.

DannyW

Freddie quickly out...maybe no harm done. He seemed to approach the contest the same way he bats in games...using all fields with no deliberate attempt to pull the ball.

Did not like Harper winning...it will just reinforce his cocky attitude...like he needed help in that area.

biggdogg

Harper is a hot dog but he backs it up. If I could hit baseballs that far Id have sweet hair and be a showboat too. Lol

He can hit em a mile, but can't buy a base hit as evidenced by his .217 batting average (sub .200 the last couple months)... According to him and Scott Boras, it's the "unfair" shift against lefties that is killing his average. Never mind the fact that the top 10 in NL batting average is littered with lefties...

Dude is a grade A clown and is doing his dead level best to guarantee Machado will get the bigger free agency payday.

someguyintraffic

He can hit em a mile, but can't buy a base hit as evidenced by his .217 batting average (sub .200 the last couple months)... According to him and Scott Boras, it's the "unfair" shift against lefties that is killing his average. Never mind the fact that the top 10 in NL batting average is littered with lefties...

Dude is a grade A clown and is doing his dead level best to guarantee Machado will get the bigger free agency payday.
Dudes a drama queen but his career to this point is anything but.

This slump he is in has pulled his career BA sub .300 to .277.

He has killed Atlanta.

Hit .462 with 8 HR in 39 ab against Teheran

.286 and a hr in 14 ab against Folty

.667 against Newcomb 3 ab 2 hr

.273 against Sanchez 11 ab 3 hits 1 hr

He's a tough out thats in a bad stretch.

biggdogg

Dudes a drama queen but his career to this point is anything but.

This slump he is in has pulled his career BA sub .300 to .277.

He has killed Atlanta.

Hit .462 with 8 HR in 39 ab against Teheran So does most of the league...

.286 and a hr in 14 ab against Folty

.667 against Newcomb 3 ab 2 hr

.273 against Sanchez 11 ab 3 hits 1 hr

He's a tough out thats in a bad stretch.

2016 was also a "bad stretch"... but that was a season long "shoulder issue". Does he kill the Braves? Sure he does. He's not the only one that kills the Braves. Just the biggest punk. Can't stand him or his attitude. Hopefully he signs with a west coast team this off season...

groundhawg

2016 was also a "bad stretch"... but that was a season long "shoulder issue". Does he kill the Braves? Sure he does. He's not the only one that kills the Braves. Just the biggest punk. Can't stand him or his attitude. Hopefully he signs with a west coast team this off season...

Last night he again chocked. Much the same as the team will before the end of September.