can you carry a pistol on a wma during bow season

Quail man

Thread starter #1
headed bear hunting at swallow creek next week, and was wondering if you could carry a pistol during bow season, got a permit if that helps, thanks

Marlin_444

with permit yes, but.... Only for personal defense. Finishing off a bear, or deer with it will cost lots.
That would be a No... No...

I'll have my SRH .454 strapped on too :) :p :D

See you in the woods...

Ron

I agree by all means carry if you can. I worry though every time someone says "can I carry while bow hunting" because there is a difference in defending yourself from bear attack and shooting with bow and putting 2 in him for good measure "if" you find him still alive.

I am not a lawyer nor have I gotten a ruling from an authority, but the way I read it you do not have to possess a GWL to carry during the archery season as long as you are in the act of hunting with a bow and have a hunting license. And the caliber does not matter. Same with fishing as long as you are fishing and have a license to fish.

Someone tell me where I am wrong.

Go to the new hunting regs booklet pg. 28 and look at the 6th bullet under "Unlawful Activities" It specifies that you have to have a concealed carry permit and then quotes a few laws, OCGA 16-11-126f or 16-11-129 and 16-11-127. Without looking them up, I would think the above post are accurate; defense only.

I have a carry permit, and do carry when hunting. I'm more concerned about some of the people I came across than any four legged creature.

pg 28 relates, IMO, to carrying a firearm during a closed hunting season.

I have seen and can't find quickly the provision that allows you to carry a sidearm during archery season if you are participating in a hunting or fishing activity and have said license.

pg 28 relates, IMO, to carrying a firearm during a closed hunting season.

I have seen and can't find quickly the provision that allows you to carry a sidearm during archery season if you are participating in a hunting or fishing activity and have said license.
This topic has been picked to death on the deer forum. To answer the question you have to have a GWL to carry while bow hunting, fishing, scouting hiking etc. If you are hunting during the firearm season you only need a hunting license.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=565578

Marlin_444

When I had my experience last year; I had my .460 on my hip and when Mr. Green Jeans asked me for my paperwork, I handed him my Hunting/Carry/Driver's license...

He did make it a point to say that since I was not dragging anything out (that happened later that weekend) they had no reason to test and see if I used my .460 to shoot it, then Poke a Magnus 4 Point in the hole...

Anywho, I have a carry permit and I carry since I have folks waiting for me back at the house... Gives me peace of mind...

See you in the woods...

Ron

Found this. Still looking for the statement that you can carry while hunting and fishing without a GWL as long as you have a hunting or fishing license and are doing such activity.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-6
Possession of firearm while hunting with bow and arrow

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess any center-fire or rimfire firearm other than a handgun, as such term is defined in Code Section 16-11-125.1, while hunting with a bow and arrow during archery or primitive weapons season for deer or while hunting with a muzzleloading firearm during a primitive weapons season for deer or to possess a loaded handgun while hunting with a bow and arrow during archery or primitive weapons season for deer or while hunting with a muzzleloading firearm during primitive weapons season for deer unless such person possesses a valid weapons carry license issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129.

And from the Ga Packing website:

If you have a valid hunting or fishing license or do not legally have to have one, you can carry a handgun or long gun while you are actively engaged in hunting, fishing or sport shooting with permission from the owner of the land you are on.

Last edited: