Cape San blas

Rabun

Wow! I have no doubt they'll shore that up. But what incredible power this storm unleashed. Prayers to all missing and those searching for them.

now you can't even get back over to the cabins. We stayed there a couple years back over the New Years holidays. It will take millions of dollars just to get access back to the campground and cabins.

FOLES55

Dustin that is crazy!!

This is a good reminder that we as man only attempt to influence things in life, but we never really control anything. Thanks for sharing this link.

That new channel will change the character of the fishery, unless it's plugged soon. It's hard to tell what the political will might be for that, or how it would be funded.

bany

One would think between the bays ecosystem and the state and local economic impact they will fill the peninsula back in.
They’ve been fortifying stump hole for years. Of course people live on the cape and it’s just recreation in the park but still a money maker.
I’m not a smart man but I think a new cut would really foul the bay?

It will take a massive undergoing a some serious $$$$ to plug that hole. I saw a video that was took from a 31’ boat going through the hole. That thing is massive!! I heard it was nearly a mile wide. No telling how deep it is either.

It will take a massive undergoing a some serious $$$$ to plug that hole. I saw a video that was took from a 31’ boat going through the hole. That thing is massive!! I heard it was nearly a mile wide. No telling how deep it is either.

It is amazing the power of water. The east jetty of the cut at St. George Island was also separated from the island itself. One of the locals videoed going through it in a boat yesterday and he marked a depth of almost 18ft at one point I believe.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I cannot wait to contribute to their economy by fishing there again.
I'm trying to buy a new bay boat that will handle the inside shallows and the outside beaches and reefs.
I may even be able to find a piece of property I can afford down there now!

1eyefishing

WoW! at the imagery!
The long concrete pier and the firetower inside the southwest corner of the bay are gone! Too bad the imagery doesn't show how much the channels in the southern part of the day changed. Or bomb holes on the eastern(edit) side...
Looks like saving all the waypoint and trails data from my soon-to-be sold boat isn't all that important anymore!
On the other hand, I see lots of new interesting places to fish.
I wonder also if they will plug the hole or build a bridge or let it become an island at the northern tip of st.joe peninsula.
The Cape Point at the southern end of the peninsula has also been taken away and round it off. Just shoals now.
I've saved this web page to my home screen. I'll be looking at this for a long time to come.
Good work Dustin Pate!

Last edited:

1eyefishing

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
WoW! at the imagery!
The long concrete pier and the firetower inside the southwest corner of the bay are gone! Too bad the imagery doesn't show how much the channels in the southern part of the day changed.
The concrete pier was damaged in storms 2 years ago and they took the pier and the fire tower down probably sometime last winter. Neither were there in June.

Yea I saw that video of Bob Sikes cut. They said it's like 80-100 yards wide and varies from 3-18' in depth. This will most like get fixed as it will not take nearly the cash it will to fix CSB. Also Dog island was breached towards the west end. Not completely washed through but a long stretch is under water.

Attachments