Carolina Bay Formation: A REALLY bad day!

Chum

Very interesting! I'll be following the developments of this closely...my gut tells me that this isn't the Younger Dryas Impact site, but perhaps the source of the AA tektites. For the time being I'm going to stand my ground that the Great Lakes region and Saginaw Bay is the site of the YD/Carolina Bay Impact. Whether I'm proven wrong or not, this is great news for the field!

Astronomy Article--Massive impact crater beneath Greenland could explain Ice Age climate swing

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chum

Ohhh SNAP!!! Antonio Zamora has his gloves on and dancing around the ring!

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chum

2018 Carolina Bay Formation Years End Recap PLUS New Developments! 2019 is going to be great!

Chum

It's a MYSTERY! In the 1950's it was proposed to be a large impact crater, but just like with the Carolina Bays, the usual "evidence" was missing. Many geologist have concluded that it must be some sort of depression caused by glacial advancement during our previous ice ages, while others argue that it may be a VERY ancient crater.

The alignment smack dab in between Saginaw Bay and the newly found Hiawatha Crater is very peculiar, IMO. I'll leave it at that for now...

Chum

New Series! Carolina Bay LiDAR Field Trips--Part 1: How to Play Along!

Chum

Carolina Bay Lidar Field Trips: Parabolic Dunes or Splash Chevron Part 1

Chum

Carolina Bay LiDAR Field Trips: Parabolic Dunes or Splash Chevrons? Part 2

ccbiggz

I was on the Ogeechee River one day and saw a depression I thought was a meteor impact crater. I sent a Google Map image to a professor at Georgia Southern and he told me it was probably a Carolina Bay. That was the first time I had heard of them. Fascinating!

Thanks for taking time to make these videos.

Chum

I was on the Ogeechee River one day and saw a depression I thought was a meteor impact crater. I sent a Google Map image to a professor at Georgia Southern and he told me it was probably a Carolina Bay. That was the first time I had heard of them. Fascinating!

Thanks for taking time to make these videos.

Yeah man, thanks for commenting! Shoot me that image to dabblers.den@gmail.com, or just share it here. I'd love to take a look at it!

Chum

This is where we separate the boys from the men!

ccbiggz

The stopped here pin is the furthest point I paddled in my kayak for the day. I put in at a landing in Jefferson County and paddle upstream. I then measure it in Google Earth to see how far I went. That's when I saw the depression on the map. My original post implied I saw it while I was there. That wasn't the case, I saw it when I went back and looked at Google Earth. Sorry for not explaining that more clearly.

Attachments

• Possible Crater Photo.png
    Possible Crater Photo.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Chum

Some how I found the place you are referring too. It's hard to tell...I put a pushpin just to the east of where you noticed the depression, but the problem is its within the Ogeechee flood plain. If it is a Carolina Bay then it was likely washed over by TREMENDOUS amounts of water not long after it was formed. This whole area definitely was affected by ice bombardment, but the ground is harder that down on the Coastal Plain, so the ice likely shattered upon impact instead of forming impact cones. Very cool non-the-less!

I actually have some property not far from there, west of Sandersville, and spent a few years hunting a property close to Davisboro...beautiful country! We can only imagine what things would have looked like 12,000 years ago!

Attachments

• ccbiggz.jpg
    ccbiggz.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Chum

I decided to add a Part 3!

Chum

Dry Bays

Chum

Is it obvious that Antonio Zamora and I have been in more consistent contact with one another here lately??? Haha...another great video!

Chum

Yorktown Mastodon--Facts vs Assumptions

Chum

Big Plans for the Dabbler's Den!

Latest posts