Carvanna

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Saw the commercial.
Anybody used it? I don't see how this could be a good idea.
Makes my spider senses tingle.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yeah, no.
I I would never buy a car sight unseen that I hadn't sat in and felt and driven.
But I do think you have the right of refusal for a few days after it is delivered. You would only lose a small fee...
My thoughts, not sure.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna "kick the tires" before I buy anything.

NOYDB

BANNED
Bottom line is your cost. How is up to you. Name of the dealer does not affect the amount that moves from your account to theirs.

You can pay $10,000 for a car. They can call it what ever suits them. $9,000 for the car and $1,000 for fees. Or $1,000 for a car and $9,000 for fees still means $10,000 out of your account and doesn't matter what they choose. What matters is what do you get for your money.

sinclair1

Bottom line is your cost. How is up to you. Name of the dealer does not affect the amount that moves from your account to theirs.

You can pay $10,000 for a car. They can call it what ever suits them. $9,000 for the car and $1,000 for fees. Or $1,000 for a car and $9,000 for fees still means $10,000 out of your account and doesn't matter what they choose. What matters is what do you get for your money.
Maybe for people buying transportation, but for people like me and Quack that like a clean truck, the general public wouldn't even be able to pinpoint what we would turn down and why.
Matter of fact, even though I will be putting a receiver hitch on, I won't buy a truck with a receiver. Too many idiots trying to pull two times the weight and then Trade them in. I won't buy a smokers stinky truck or one that has fat people creases in the seats.

I would pay 1000 extra, just to get what I am looking for, instead of a bargain beater

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
Maybe for people buying transportation, but for people like me and Quack that like a clean truck, the general public wouldn't even be able to pinpoint what we would turn down and why.
Matter of fact, even though I will be putting a receiver hitch on, I won't buy a truck with a receiver. Too many idiots trying to pull two times the weight and then Trade them in. I won't buy a smokers stinky truck or one that has fat people creases in the seats.

I would pay 1000 extra, just to get what I am looking for, instead of a bargain beater

Buy what satisfies you. But the name on the retailer does change what can get for your money.

Like all things in retail. SHOP!

sinclair1

Buy what satisfies you. But the name on the retailer does change what can get for your money.

Like all things in retail. SHOP!
As usual I disagree. I attend auctions with a car dealer friend from time to time. Some dump junk and some put lipstick on a pig and sell it on their lots. Some buy the junk that has flood damage, some won't touch it. The name on the retailer absolutely matters.

NOYDB

BANNED
As usual I disagree. I attend auctions with a car dealer friend from time to time. Some dump junk and some put lipstick on a pig and sell it on their lots. Some buy the junk that has flood damage, some won't touch it. The name on the retailer absolutely matters.

I used to order direct from the factory because I was good with a keyboard and was faster than the dealer online. Used to sell what the dealer's rep would buy at auctions. Dosen't change my advice at all.

If you buy from dealer "A" and he offers a lipstick applied sled. It would have also been offered to dealer "B". It's the same sled but the name of dealership didn't all of a sudden make it cherry.

sinclair1

I used to order direct from the factory because I was good with a keyboard and was faster than the dealer online. Used to sell what the dealer's rep would buy at auctions. Dosen't change my advice at all.

If you buy from dealer "A" and he offers a lipstick applied sled. It would have also been offered to dealer "B". It's the same sled but the name of dealership didn't all of a sudden make it cherry.
most of your advice is outdated and just stuff you read in articles. Get out in the real world and go buy a car from a buy here pay here and see how long it last you. They purposely buy garbage to sell to desperate people who Can't go elsewhere.

You won't find a one owner car at a crap lot. They don't go to auction if they are cherry, they keep them to sell on premises. My wife's one owner 20k mile Vette we traded in was twirling on the showroom turn style at the dealer we bought from and it was the only 5 year old car on the lot.

They kept it because it was a non smoker, low mileage, one owner, woman owned, cherry ride. Your junk would probably go straight to auction with all the bottom of the line tires and cheap oil you probably run because you think quality doesn't exist.

NOYDB

BANNED
They saw you coming.

My last vehicle (a '91 (I bought in 92) I ran for 14 years. My current one is a 2005 I bought new in 2006. Still going and looks great.

sinclair1

They saw you coming.

My last vehicle (a '91 (I bought in 92) I ran for 14 years. My current one is a 2005 I bought new in 2006. Still going and looks great.
you are a transportation owner, I get that. My wife and I are enthusiast. There are many cars we will own before dying.

Let me guess ....f150 probably white with a tool box

jigman29

Two women at work bought vehicles from there and both were very happy. I personally wouldn't buy one sight unseen but if its your thing have at it.

NOYDB

BANNED
you are a transportation owner, I get that. My wife and I are enthusiast. There are many cars we will own before dying.

Let me guess ....f150 probably white with a tool box

I am utility minded. '91 was the last '91 Explorer available at the Ford dealers in Memphis. When I decided to buy I had a notepad with everything I wanted listed. The one I purchased was one that had been ordered and then the purchase had fallen thru. It was still on the lot when I was looking. All the '92s were out and for sale this one was on a back lot and not even for display. I previously had Toyota trucks but was ready for a change. Plus I wanted the SUV configuration and the exploder was available. It accomplished what I needed so I kept it. After 14 years the rubber was starting to dry rot so I replaced it. I wanted to replace it with another '91 exploder but they were not available. So I bought a 2005 Jeep Laredo Limited with a 5.7 V8 that was steeply discounted because of gas mileage concerns. It meets my needs so I keep it running.

Both were red. The car color I prefer.

Timberman

Carvanna is ok. Some folks just will do what ever it takes to not have to go to a car lot so for them it works...

They source from auctions buying ex rentals for the most part. They have been tearing up the auctions lately paying crazy money for inventory.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I guess if they get big enough, the interest money they make from delaying refunds could be a substantial chunk.
I'm struggling with buying something sight unseen and trusting the seller to take it back for a full refund if I don't like it.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Carvanna is ok. Some folks just will do what ever it takes to not have to go to a car lot so for them it works...

They source from auctions buying ex rentals for the most part. They have been tearing up the auctions lately paying crazy money for inventory.
It's funny how people pay more money to not haggle. Carmax has been selling pre-owned vehicles higher than anyone else in town for years. I guess what they say is true, "perception is reality"

LTZ25

I think some people are afraid of car dealers and heck I don't blame them ( I'm not myself ) . But no way I'm buying anything anyone of you have for sale without checking it out , I agree most every major dealer keeps only the very best of used cars they get on trade in . I'm not an expert but I think if you trade a Honda in for a new Ford the ford dealer might call his friend at the Honda place and see what its worth him and that can affect your trades value .

Timberman

I agree most every major dealer keeps only the very best of used cars they get on trade in . I'm not an expert but I think if you trade a Honda in for a new Ford the ford dealer might call his friend at the Honda place and see what its worth him and that can affect your trades value .

Facts.

Factory dealers cherry pick their trades and retail the best and move the rest.

As well dealers are all hooked up and buy sell used inventory among themselves frequently. Many times when you trade in a different brand it is priced and already sold to another dealer before your paperwork is finished.

NOYDB

BANNED
I think some people are afraid of car dealers and heck I don't blame them ( I'm not myself ) . But no way I'm buying anything anyone of you have for sale without checking it out , I agree most every major dealer keeps only the very best of used cars they get on trade in . I'm not an expert but I think if you trade a Honda in for a new Ford the ford dealer might call his friend at the Honda place and see what its worth him and that can affect your trades value .

He calls the Honda dealer before he offers you it's value to him to be applied as a trade in.