Carving Set

Anvil Head

Had a fella on KNF ask me about refurbishing a really nice fork from a carving set. Handle was broken and burned. So I'll be working on it later this year. But, since the subject came up, someone else asked if I'd ever made a set. Short answer was yes, several. Digging through my photos I found these pics of a set I made a little over 25 years ago for my wife to celebrate our 25th anniversary (yeah we cleared 50 this year). Thought you might enjoy.

They are modeled and scaled down from a set made by William Finck of California '49er Gold rush days. I got to handle the original set while on a business trip to New Orleans. The handles are MOP with silver fittings and the blades are damascus. Box is maple - making the hinges and latch were almost as hard as the knives. Sorry the pics aren't high quality. Quarter for perspective.
IMG_20230902_202332875.jpgIMG_20230902_202407562.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s a beautiful set!!

Big7

The Oracle
Beautiful as always but as a guy that don't speak knife maker, what does KNF and MOP stand for? And the large disk in the bottom pic?

I assume the KNF is a Guild or forum but I certainly don't know.

Thanks

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Beautiful as always but as a guy that don't speak knife maker, what does KNF and MOP stand for? And the large disk in the bottom pic?

Thanks
The large disk is a quarter I believe

Big7

The Oracle
The large disk is a quarter I believe
Well that just upped the ante to make a set that small and intricate.

I can't even see good enough to do close work like that any more. :bounce:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Well that just upped the ante to make a set that small and intricate.

I can't even see good enough to do close work like that any more. :bounce:
It’s tiny and beautiful I’d say. It takes talent and patience, two qualities that I’m not over stocked with!

Anvil Head

Thanks
KNF = Knife Network Forums
MOP = Mother of Pearl
Quarter - wrong background for contrast of subject matter (photographer error - me)

Yeah, making 50 is serious work for two people!

I made that set back when I didn't need ocular enhancement.
They are harder than full size work for sure, plus you only get one shot at them. One little mistake and well.....nothing left to fix. Full size stuff can be salvaged and redesigned to make useful.

Anvil Head

Hey Dan, hope you're doing well. You coming up to Trackrock for the Hammer-in?

Redbow

Yes sir, that set is awesome as all your work is. A big congrats to you and the misses for the 50 years together.