catalpa worms

Money man

Apparently frozen: See below from web

Catalpa Worms They are as good frozen as they are fresh off the tree Catalpa Worms come from the Catalpa Tree mostly in the southern regions of the country. These worms infest the tree and eat the leaves several times a year. Some people consider them as pests to the environment, but fisherman will search far and wide to get these prize catfish attractors. I have had two fisherman travel from Ohio to get this legendary Catfish bait. If anyone tells you they don't work, they aren't fishing with them properly or their aren't any fish there. Just here in our store we have had fishermen buy a dozen Catalpa's and catch up to 30 catfish. Then turn around and buy 2-5 more dozen for future fishing trips. Catfish have over 140 taste and smell receptors when Bass only a few dozen. It's the scent of the juices from the Catalpa that make them so appealing to Catfish. The great thing about Catalpa's is that they can be frozen and used when needed. The Catalpa keeps it's freshness even in a frozen state. When their cut and fished on the bottom Catfish go into a feeding frenzy. So stock your freezer up with some of the best cat fishing bait around. One of the biggest misconceptions is that people think of the catalpa as a worm instead of bait. Catfish eat what taste good not what wiggles, the Catalpa tastes good to the catfish and thats why they work. So if your ordering them don't expect them to come back to life, treat them as if they are a dough bait and they will catch catfish if you follow the correct way to fish with them. One of the best way's to fish with Catalpa Worms Setup your pole for bottom fishing Defrost the catalpa completely Cut the Catalpa's head off and turn the worm inside-out using a match or wood twig or Cut in Half to increase the usage Thread the catalpa onto the hook with the Catalpa Juice on the outside of the hook Make sure you fish on the bottom of the lake or river to increase your chances since Catfish are notorious bottom feeders

jamrens

Banned
we always froze them in ziplock bag with a bunch of korn meal, fill the bag half full with korn meal and then throw in about a dozen or 2 worms and freeze

GiddyUpGo

Can anyone post a picture of one of these critters? I've been told that there are some in the area here, but it would help to know what they look like. Can't wait to try em!!:banana:

last night my friend caught 49 channel cats out of a pond. ranging from 1 lb - 3.5 lbs. most of them were caught on catalpa worms

boohoo222

GONetwork member
257_Pale_Catawba_worm_with_quarter.jpg

600_Single_Worm_in_Top_in_Sunlight.jpg

image6_002worm.jpg

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
aint seen any on mine yet.waiting on them.

Woodscrew

I been seeing a few around here. Someone robbed my tree I had been watching the day after I found some on it. Boy that will tick you off.

SGADawg

They just hatched on my tree this week. They are about pencil lead size and about 3/4" long. It won't be long now. They are also an excellent bait for Alapaha River Redbreast.

Fletch_W

Banned
One of the greatest fishing memories of my childhood was harvesting the catalpa worms off my friend's uncle's catalpa orchard (yes, he was serious about catalpa worms) and then hiking 2 miles down the dirt road to the farm pond and tearing up the bluegills and shellcracker. That is now the site of two new neighborhoods on Hadaway Rd in Cobb.

jalawson

We have used live and frozen ones from a store. Find a spot on Sinclair that is 30ft deep. Sink one to the bottom and you should catch some nice catfish.

hunter63john

We use to put them in one gallon buckets and add 4 or 5 big leaves of the tree and just place them in the freezer. When we would sell them, we would just get a few out and let them set in the shop for a little while and they would return to normal activity. Be ready to have ur hands stained for a few days though when u gather them.

Ihunt

You can keep them in your refrigerator for a couple of weeks.They go into so kind of hibernation and will wake up within minutes of taking them out.