Catfish Slime

cddogfan1

What's a good way to avoid it or get it off. Went Friday night and set lime lines. Did pretty well. Put them on ice. Was not able to clean them till yesterday. Man some of them had really thick layer of slime. More than I can remember in the past. I used table salt it it helped remove it. Did not know if you all have a way to avoid it. And maybe something better than the table salt.

cddogfan1

Just wipe it off with an old wash rag then commence to skinning and gutting.
I tried that and it would have taken a boat load. Wish I had taken a picture. It was thick. Don't ever remember seeing it this bad before. I wound up using rags , salt and a scrub brush. Really want to know if there is a way to prevent it.

Big7

The Oracle
If you have good water pressure, you should be able to get it off with a hose end sprayer. Set it so you have a fan spray of about 4 inches.

Catfish skin is tough. Just bare down it with the high pressure water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We just rinse them off with a hose if there's one around, and get to filleting. It all comes off when you skin the fillets.

specialk

never heard of that, i always clean my fish directly after fishing though.....

TurkeyH90

Keep them alive. I had a buddy would tether them out in the river with paracord Obviously you risk a Gator but he always did it and never had a problem. He caught more catfish than anyone I've ever known.

BASS1FUN

The best way is not catch them, I boat flipped one that ate my spinnerbait on Lake Oconee and I washed and washed and washed my carpet in which after about a year it wouldn’t slime up also I allowed my friend to put one in my livewell and it had that oily look when water and oil/gas mix, I took ammonia and washed my livewell