Caught a turtle!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It happens. More so in a pond but be careful tossing mayfly flies no matter where you are. Turtles, carp, bullfrogs and other non target species are willing to take a mayfly. Including birds. Makes for an interesting fly removal process.

flyrod444

Caught a bat one time on my back cast fishing Deep Creek right before dark. Not something I want to repeat in the future. This year I hung into something huge while fishing tuck DH. When it came to the surface I was shocked to see a young otter foul hooked. I could turn it from going up stream, but when it went down stream it pulled the hook. Must have been hooked in the fur. Was a great fight for maybe a minute or two. Just releaved the hook pulled.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I tied up some foam spiders for a buddy down in Florida,he uses them to catch bull frogs

Anvil Head

Have caught all the above on flyrod, except otter - he just took my little rainbow off my line and left. You fish enough animals that eat flies and bugs are going to hit. Stuff's gonna happen. Even caught a cormorant on a gold spoon in Fl.
Hate catching snakes most - they just don't quite get that you're going to let them go.

FARMS100

I agree with Anvil head a couple days ago hooked a water snake just behind the head. I had a hard time getting him loose, I wasn't about to use my hand that close to his mouth, even I knew it would not hard me but I might hurt myself with hook.
HAVE A NICE DAY----AL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Caught a bat one time on my back cast fishing Deep Creek right before dark. Not something I want to repeat in the future. This year I hung into something huge while fishing tuck DH. When it came to the surface I was shocked to see a young otter foul hooked. I could turn it from going up stream, but when it went down stream it pulled the hook. Must have been hooked in the fur. Was a great fight for maybe a minute or two. Just releaved the hook pulled.
I caught a bat on the back cast fishing the dusk hatch on Big Creek back when I was a teenager. I've caught a lot of bullfrogs on a fly rod, both intentionally and unintentionally. Never caught a turtle or an otter, but one of my fly-fishing mentors caught a mink one time that grabbed the fish he was pulling in and ran off through the woods with it.

I have caught snapping turtles bait fishing for carp and catfish, and softshells and sliders on catfish jugs. I saw a guy who was dating my sister catch a Hellbender on a nightcrawler.

I did catch a water snake on a Mepps spinner one time. I was retrieving it under an overhanging tree limb when the snake dropped off of the limb and grabbed it. If you fish long enough, weird stuff happens.

Tentwing

NCHillbilly is right fish long enough and you will have stories to tell that only other fishermen will believe:). No otters .... but one bat, many snakes(nothing poisonous) two hellbenders, several frogs, a variety of turtles including one box turtle??? Foul hooked a squirrel once of the Norfork in Arkansas :rolleyes: It jumped from a branch over hang right on to my strike indicator. Hooked a cow on a back cast once on the Cumberland in Kentucky. And I would argue that I have have hooked more tree limbs than anyone ;)

615groundpounder

I've caught a loon chasing surfacing striper. Its a gamble sometimes casting to busting fish when loons are diving through the bait balls. They do put up a pretty good fight!:sneaky:

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Had many a bird swoop on my topwater offerings but no full commitments.

Caught plenty of turtles on cutbait fishing for cats

I caught a snake one time too. On a panther martin. I was around 8. About the time I hooked it my old man snatched me up and took off down the creek (pops dont play with snakes). Dont remember anything else - but, I lost a darn good ninja turtle flip-flop that day

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Never caught a turtle but I once caught a whitetail

Attachments

• 63DAE226-7CF7-49CD-9934-65948A143EE8.jpeg
    63DAE226-7CF7-49CD-9934-65948A143EE8.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 13