Cave Finds

Bow Only

These came from a cave complex associated with the Florida Caverns. Debris is everywhere and at least a Woodland occupation is easily seen. My question is, why drill a hole in a shell like that? Adornment maybe? This was not from 8Ja65.

Some of you may be familiar with Waddell Mill Pond and the site 8Ja65. It is one of my favorites and it has a cave complex as well. What many don't know is that there is an underground river running through the cave. I once saw a big bone on the bottom of that river and got down and reached for it. I stretched as far as I could but couldn't quite reach it. Wanting that bone, I went and got a limb to see if I could move the bone to a shallower area so I could reach it. To my surprise, a 6 ft limb couldn't reach the bottom. The water was so clear, I was reaching for a bone that was on the bottom 8 ft away.

Another fact I discovered later in life was that the cave continued on underground. I always stopped at the river but I interviewed one man who got in the river and continued on. He said after a little ways, he got back on land and continued for at least 1/4 mile. He said at one point, he heard a car go over his head which indicated that the cavern went north and under the highway. He was with 2 other people. The archaeologists didn't even know this cavern was there and they excavated the site twice.

There are two mounds at 8Ja65 and a cemetery. One of the mounds had burials that spiraled towards the center where the chief was found wearing a 5 conch headdress. They found an effigy of him while excavating and I have the pics of it around here somewhere. It is a very interesting site.

Attachments

• cave.jpg
    cave.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 75

oldguy

These came from a cave complex associated with the Florida Caverns. Debris is everywhere and at least a Woodland occupation is easily seen. My question is, why drill a hole in a shell like that? Adornment maybe? This was not from 8Ja65.

Some of you may be familiar with Waddell Mill Pond and the site 8Ja65. It is one of my favorites and it has a cave complex as well. What many don't know is that there is an underground river running through the cave. I once saw a big bone on the bottom of that river and got down and reached for it. I stretched as far as I could but couldn't quite reach it. Wanting that bone, I went and got a limb to see if I could move the bone to a shallower area so I could reach it. To my surprise, a 6 ft limb couldn't reach the bottom. The water was so clear, I was reaching for a bone that was on the bottom 8 ft away.

Another fact I discovered later in life was that the cave continued on underground. I always stopped at the river but I interviewed one man who got in the river and continued on. He said after a little ways, he got back on land and continued for at least 1/4 mile. He said at one point, he heard a car go over his head which indicated that the cavern went north and under the highway. He was with 2 other people. The archaeologists didn't even know this cavern was there and they excavated the site twice.

There are two mounds at 8Ja65 and a cemetery. One of the mounds had burials that spiraled towards the center where the chief was found wearing a 5 conch headdress. They found an effigy of him while excavating and I have the pics of it around here somewhere. It is a very interesting site.
While swimming in a spring my bandanna slipped out of my pocket and sunk to the bottom. When I spotted it I took a deep breath flipped over and commenced swimming, down, down, down... Thought I'd never get to the bottom! That clear water'll fool you.