Celebrex and Heart attacks

QuakerBoy

I figgured there's gotta be a few folks here taking Celebrex.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041217/D871FRT80.html

Pfizer Finds Celebrex Heart Attack Risk
Dec 17, 10:40 AM (ET)

(AP) A bottle of Celebrex is photographed at a pharmacy in upper Manhattan, Thursday, Sept. 30, 2004 in...
Full Image

NEW YORK (AP) - Pfizer Inc. (PFE) says it has found an increased risk of heart attacks with patients taking its top-selling painkiller Celebrex, a drug that is in the same class as Vioxx, which was pulled from the market in September because of safety concerns.

Pfizer announced Friday that it found the increased risk in one of two long-term cancer prevention trials, while the other trial showed no increased risk.

The National Cancer Institute, which was conducting the study for Pfizer, suspended the use of Celebrex after finding that patients taking 400mg to 800mg of the drug daily were found to have a risk of 2.5 times greater of experiencing major heart problems than those who weren't. A separate cancer study found no increased heart risk with patients taking 400mg of Celebrex per day.

Pfizer was conducting the trials as part of an effort to find a new application for the drug.

The news sent the stock of the giant pharmaceutical maker plunging in morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange, where its shares were down $4.14, or more than 14 percent, at $24.84 in heavy volume.

Both Celebrex and Vioxx, which is made by Merck & Co. (MRK), are a type of drug called cox-2 inhibitors, which have become popular because of their effectiveness in treating the pain of arthritis and other ailments.

Celebrex is the most-prescribed drug for treating arthritis. In the nine months ending in September, worldwide sales of Celebrex more than doubled from the same period a year earlier to $2.29 billion, accounting for 6 percent of Pfizer's total income of $37.59 billion.

Pfizer did not indicate that it was withdrawing Celebrex from the marketplace.

The withdrawal of Vioxx has been a financial and public relations disaster for Merck. Its legal liabilities are estimated at up to $18 billion, and its shares have dropped by nearly one-third since the recall announcement was made in late September.

Vioxx had been a blockbuster drug for Merck, it's No. 2 earner with annual global sales of $2.5 billion, amounting to 11 percent of the company's $22.49 billion in revenue last year. Some 2 million people worldwide had been taking Vioxx.

Dr. Joseph Feczko, president of worldwide development for Pfizer, noted that the results in the trial finding increased risk of heart attacks were not consistent with either the other cancer prevention trial or with a "large body of data" that the company had collected.

"Pfizer is taking immediate steps to fully understand the results and rapidly communicate new information to regulators, physicians and patients around the world," Pfizer's chief executive Hank McKinnell said in a statement

Earlier this month, the Food and Drug Administration said it was adding a warning to the labels of another Pfizer drug, Bextra, noting a risk of potential heart problems associated with the use of Bextra in people who have recently had heart bypass surgery. Bextra is also a cox-2 inhibitor type of drug.

Handgunner

I've been taking it for about 3 months now. Think I can grab my chest, sue and buy my own hunting ranch???? :D :bounce:

Doubt it, but I do know I'm going to lay off it until more is found out!

CAL

I am currently taking 200mg.,my heart Dr.said there is certain risk in all medication.I only take it once a day for arthur.I did stop Vioxx though.

dbodkin

I took one course of it .. didnt help me.... so I went back to beer.... errr I mean asprin......

stumpman

Banned
Cal you going to keep taking celebrex i take 1 200 mg pill each day i think im going to stop i use to take viox and quit that also advil doesnt realy help me that much.

CAL

Stump,
I have had 2 heart attacks and open heart surgery.I have been taking it for a couple of months now,I think I will continue.Arthritus in my case is pretty bad.The report says 400mg.is the danger point.

Bow Only

I think Cal said it correctly. The studies have shown that high doses of Celebrex (400mg to 800mg) may increase cardiovascular events. I personally have never had a patient take 800mg and could probably count on my hands the number that took 400mg. Most people take 100mg or 200mg once daily.
There are numerous people that are requesting their medical records to pursue this matter in court. They have had no ill effects from taking the medication, but look at it as an opportunity to "get rich quick."
I hate to say it, but if any of you knew all of the potential side effects of the medications you were taking, you would not take them. The key word is "potential". Who knows who will get a side effect from a medication? If there is a 1% chance you will have a side effect, would you take the medication? Some medications have a 30% chance you will get a particular side effect. You would surely like to know about that wouldn't you. People should only take medication as a last resort. No one is forcing you to take anything.
Manufacturers should be able to verify in clinical studies that the medications they make are relatively safe. As with Vioxx, it is safe for a vast majority of the population for short term usage. Only in elevated doses over an extended period of time does a potential problem exist. No one mentions that patients could also have an immediate allergic reaction to Vioxx so severe that it could cause death. But a lot of medications can cause the same outcome. Read up on the medications you are taking. Don't let someone else be responsible for your health. It's all about personal responsibility.

CAL

Thanks Bow Only for you post.I take 9 different medications trying to keep my ole ticker ticking.It is my responsibility to know what each one treats and their side affects,just as you said!I do know too.My heart doctor who has kept me alive for 12 yrs.with Gods help says all good medicines have some side effects of some kind!

Sueing people?I don't have time for it,just trying to live each day to its fullest.

I take all pills at once one time a day.The only thing I wonder is "how do they know which way to go"?