Chamber space and crown on rifle

M2106

Good evening, I know this could go in the gunsmithing section but I am looking for more exposure. I recently had a newer rifle cerakoted. The shop I took it to disassembled the rifle and cerekoted the inside of the bolt chamber. I am now having accuracy problems. If I could get a recommendation for a gunsmith who is really good at head spacing and recrowning I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!

HughW2

I see you are in Leesburg. Close by you I would recommend Flat Creek Precision. Do a web search for there phone number.

Jester896

Senior Clown
What type of rifle is this?
when you say disassembled do you mean they just took it out of the stock?

I don't know how spraying Cerekote on it could damage the crown. There may be some in the muzzle and could affect accuracy, adding .003-.005 to the walls of the chamber might cause an issue as well.

I am close to you and can look in the chamber and at the muzzle with a borescope with you to see.

bighonkinjeep

If its been disassembled it could be anything from the bases and rings being loose ( screws can be tight and bottomed out with the bases still being loose)to the torque being different between the action and stock changing the harmonics. Are you using the exact same load as before from the same lot number? Have you cleaned the barrel of copper? Do you always keep the barrel spotless or does it need to be re fouled to settle down? Was the barrel removed from the action and if so does the info on the barrel line up in the same place as before? Have you checked headspace yourself to see if its in spec? Man I'd look a lot of other places before I started spending money on work that may or may not help or need to be done.

M2106

Thanks guys, Yes, I believe the whole gun was disassembled. The inside of the action is completely coated down to the chamber. I found a gun builder south of me who I believe can help. Many of the things suggested I have checked or tried. Same loads. New Leupold rings and one piece base. Barrel is cleaned a d copper removed every year. And the bore currently has 25-30 shots through it. It grouped reall good for 4 seasons and after I had it coated. Things changed. My new gunsmith says we should be able to get it right. If not then we will have some fun with it and do a build.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Thanks guys, Yes, I believe the whole gun was disassembled. The inside of the action is completely coated down to the chamber. I found a gun builder south of me who I believe can help. Many of the things suggested I have checked or tried. Same loads. New Leupold rings and one piece base. Barrel is cleaned a d copper removed every year. And the bore currently has 25-30 shots through it. It grouped reall good for 4 seasons and after I had it coated. Things changed. My new gunsmith says we should be able to get it right. If not then we will have some fun with it and do a build.
There isn't a need to disassemble the "whole gun" to Cerekote it.

The inside of the action should be coated down to the chamber.

It was fine before the Cerekote but since it was Cerekoted it has new Leupold rings and a new one piece base? And then it started acting up?

should there be a period or comma between had it coated...things changed.

Do you normally shoot 25-30 shot through it in a deer season or is this one different for some reason?

what method are you using to check the bore to see if it is clean?

Whiddon or McWhorter would be 2 really good "gun builders" south of you if those were your choices