Chances this could be same buck?

GaFlLine

Pictures are taken a year apart from each other. Seperate locations 8 miles distance. I believe two different bucks but the racks are very similar other than the brow tines.

Attachments

• 21357.jpg
    21357.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 940
  • 21356.jpg
    21356.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 944
  • Screenshot_2017-12-13-10-50-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-13-10-50-51.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 944
  • Screenshot_2017-12-13-13-38-49.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-12-13-13-38-49.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 937
Last edited:

PappyHoel

Looks similar but I think different brow tines and diff kicker in the back left.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Nope, not the same deer.

The good news is that there are/were two decent bucks with weird looking antlers somewhat in a 5 mile area if any hunters haven't got them yet.

I'll let others chime in with their opinions and I will post my reason maybe later.

Last edited:

six

I'd say different deer. Not the best pictures on that two to judge but I'm thinking different age classes. Markings on the top of the nose looks different too, but that could be the flash. Is the 2016 deer blind in his left eye?

Last edited:

BassHunter25

If this were my place there wouldn't be any other deer that could look like that one. So, unless deer like this are common in your area I would say the same.
Anytime you get a straight on pic of deer like this its good to save them. obviously the quality of the older pics aren't as good. I like to get two pics of the deer in the same position to compare. Usually with a good quality pic if you zoom in on the ears there are small little spots that are different on every deer. Of course a deer could get more little notches as they get older that they didn't have when they were younger. Other things are throat patches, the chest hair tufts some have them some don't, some have bigger ones than others. Color pics help too.
Good news either way. Its either two bigguns or at least one still alive?

GaFlLine

Haven't seen him since last year if it is two different bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 737
  • MFDC8659.JPG
    MFDC8659.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 737
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 737
  • MFDC0045.JPG
    MFDC0045.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 742

PappyHoel

after clarifying this, I'd agree with Dustin, same deer.

Yes same deer with the clarification. He lost a kicker the second year I guess.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Obviously, your photos of the 1st and 2nd buck are the same deer.

However on the 3rd and 4th photo, it is a different buck in my opinion because some things on a deer do not change from year to year. The nose area on the 1st and 2nd buck BOTH have a fairly large circular area of white hair around the complete area of the top of the nose and in that area, there is a narrow distinct line of brown/dark hair that comes straight down to the top of the completely black area of the mouth of this buck.

On the 3rd and 4th buck there is NOT the wider white area NOR the narrow brown darker line area coming down to the black mouth area of this buck.

As I said, this feature does NOT change from year to year as I have seen well over 650,000 of my trailcam photos to prove that point year after year. I do in fact have hundreds of photos of the same buck or doe for that matter as they mature from one year to the next to the next as I have a library of sorts to continue viewing them.

I will agree that both of these deer obviously have had some great nutritional food products along the way that gave them both a lot of unusual characteristics.

Look at the photo below and you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

• NOT THE SAME BUCK  12-13-17.jpg
    NOT THE SAME BUCK 12-13-17.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 712

GaFlLine

I'm just trying to figure out if the buck in the two pictures I posted dating 2017 is the same buck as other pics posted. The other pictures are dating from 2014 - to last fall 2016. We watched this buck on our property for 3 years and he disappeared on us last year during the rut. A buddy of mine who hunts approximately 8 miles (not 5 like I stated in first post) down the road from us sent me the pictures of the 2017 buck. At first I thought no chance it was the same buck but the more I compared racks led me to question myself. I appreciate all the feedback. If its two different bucks I hope our buddy shows back up on our property, and if it is the same buck he was shot this week by a fellow Hunter...

Attachments

• 21415.jpg
    21415.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 695

GaFlLine

I'd say different deer. Not the best pictures on that two to judge but I'm thinking different age classes. Markings on the top of the nose looks different too, but that could be the flash. Is the 2016 deer blind in his left eye?

Not sure if he is blind or not. Wish he would show himself so I could ask with my arrow

GaFlLine

However on the 3rd and 4th photo, it is a different buck in my opinion because some things on a deer do not change from year to year. The nose area on the 1st and 2nd buck BOTH have a fairly large circular area of white hair around the complete area of the top of the nose and in that area, there is a narrow distinct line of brown/dark hair that comes straight down to the top of the completely black area of the mouth of this buck.

On the 3rd and 4th buck there is NOT the wider white area NOR the narrow brown darker line area coming down to the black mouth area of this buck.

As I said, this feature does NOT change from year to year as I have seen well over 650,000 of my trailcam photos to prove that point year after year. I do in fact have hundreds of photos of the same buck or doe for that matter as they mature from one year to the next to the next as I have a library of sorts to continue viewing them.

I will agree that both of these deer obviously have had some great nutritional food products along the way that gave them both a lot of unusual characteristics.

Great information and much appreciated. I hope the two bucks are different and just have similar horns. Would love to see what he Has turned into this year...

GaFlLine

If this were my place there wouldn't be any other deer that could look like that one. So, unless deer like this are common in your area I would say the same.
Anytime you get a straight on pic of deer like this its good to save them. obviously the quality of the older pics aren't as good. I like to get two pics of the deer in the same position to compare. Usually with a good quality pic if you zoom in on the ears there are small little spots that are different on every deer. Of course a deer could get more little notches as they get older that they didn't have when they were younger. Other things are throat patches, the chest hair tufts some have them some don't, some have bigger ones than others. Color pics help too.
Good news either way. Its either two bigguns or at least one still alive?

Hopefully they are brothers and the one that disappeared on us last year is still around. The buck in the First two pics (dating 2017) was shot this week.

BassHunter25

One flaw in this nose stripe is the difference in the time of year. We all know the deer coats and color change from early to late season and if you zoom in on the newer pics he posted from 2016 that nose stripe looks very similar just not as pronounced because still in his summer coat.

BassHunter25

All that being said. After those newer pics of the deer looking straight forward in 2016. I think they are two different deer because if he shape of the main beams from how they come up and out of the bases. It's shaped differently.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hopefully they are brothers and the one that disappeared on us last year is still around. The buck in the First two pics (dating 2017) was shot this week.

I am thinking two different Deer, but Same Genes................so This^^^^^^^

Brothers indeed:cool:

Colinmcnutt270

I had pics of this buck back in 2016 it was from the same area it was killed!

Attachments

• 20E3DA5A-E83E-4B9E-9DC2-DC19F86484DF.jpeg
    20E3DA5A-E83E-4B9E-9DC2-DC19F86484DF.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 11
  • 2D237878-CC30-4710-AB4E-981002B7E7E3.jpeg
    2D237878-CC30-4710-AB4E-981002B7E7E3.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 11