Change of pace--wild quail

Mark K

Banned
That was great. Heard all those sounds and then some.
And since you mention quail sounds maybe you can help me out. I’ve heard this about three times this Fall/Winter and it appears to be the Rooster making it. It almost sounds like a softer version of a Pileated Woodpecker and is done by a rooster that flushes one direction and the covey flushes the other direction. I’m interpreting it as an alarm call of some sort, but I have yet to see a predator. Like I said, only heard it 3 times, but all 3 times was exactly the same scenario. And I say rooster because I’ve seen the rooster flush first. This was not over dogs, just sitting in the stand observing.
And something you’ve probably already witnessed, was quail fluttering up in the privet and fluttering from limb to limb eating the berries. And as you know, quail don’t flutter quietly, lol. Those wings either beat 90 to nothing or not at all.
And last, watched a covey take cover under the leaves of a fallen oak and travel and grand total of 20 yards in 2.5 hours! That was it. Fed around for 2.5 hours within a 20 yard span.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Adam, a poster who seems to be MIA, had the below quote in his signature line. I've always liked the line and I tracked it down to Aldo Leopold's 1953 book, Round River. It's as true now as it was then:
"...a thicket without the potential roar of a quail covey is only a thorny thicket..."
The full quote and book is easily found by googling the line above. It's worth reading. It can also be applied to the twitter of a flushed woodcock.
Gil

spring

That was great. Heard all those sounds and then some.
And since you mention quail sounds maybe you can help me out. I’ve heard this about three times this Fall/Winter and it appears to be the Rooster making it. It almost sounds like a softer version of a Pileated Woodpecker and is done by a rooster that flushes one direction and the covey flushes the other direction. I’m interpreting it as an alarm call of some sort, but I have yet to see a predator. Like I said, only heard it 3 times, but all 3 times was exactly the same scenario. And I say rooster because I’ve seen the rooster flush first. This was not over dogs, just sitting in the stand observing.
And something you’ve probably already witnessed, was quail fluttering up in the privet and fluttering from limb to limb eating the berries. And as you know, quail don’t flutter quietly, lol. Those wings either beat 90 to nothing or not at all.
And last, watched a covey take cover under the leaves of a fallen oak and travel and grand total of 20 yards in 2.5 hours! That was it. Fed around for 2.5 hours within a 20 yard span.

They do make lots of different sounds, not just depending on the circumstances, but also the time of year. In the spring I like recording them. Sometimes you can hear the sultry call of the hen that has all the roosters fired up. You should be able to hear her early in the video here:

A hen and her roosters

Here's another you might enjoy:

Springtime quail

spring

Another good weekend with a mix of quail, ducks and dove hunting.

GmqgYcxhQ8iXo5BFWmWJnA_zpsgmlsvub0.jpg

Last edited:

spring

Yesterday's hunt was a lot of fun. Tried to get after them on Saturday but the wind made scenting conditions very difficult. Headed out Monday morning after after a chilly morning duck hunt.

neeRnXi8RuWliDEHbeHmsQ_zpsqgswneux.jpg

RkayvC2MQLS3udTh7Acg2w_zpsyb5sjtqo.jpg

spring

Another cool covey rise from this morning. I was working my dog so, you get a one man band of a dog handler, videographer, and shooter... You can really see the speed of a rise in this video, especially if you watch it on a larger screen.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Thanks for posting that covey rise.
Jeff