Chattahoochee NF-No Antlerless Hunting

35 Whelen

Did anyone notice that in the proposed regulations there is no antlerless deer hunting east of I-75 during all seasons, archery, primitive weapons, and firearms for the next 2 seasons?

Chattahoochee National Forest - Outside of WMAs

Deer-East of I-75
2019-20
Archery Buck Only Sep 14-Oct 11
Firearms Buck Only Oct 19-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 12-Oct 18

2020-21
Archery Buck Only Sep 12-Oct 9
Firearms Buck Only Oct 17-Dec 26
Primitive Weapons Buck Only Oct 10-Oct 16

Jeff Holt

Not surprising. I haven't shot a doe in over 10 years hoping to let the population come back where I hunt. It doesn't seem to help though when it sounds like a shooting range on the private property next door on the days they are allowed to shoot does.

bany

I shot two one day about 10 years ago. With the declining herd up there I’ve felt bad about that. Haven’t hunted much there since and that was mainly bear focused. I did see a couple doe the last time out,they didn’t know how safe they were!
I’ve been wondering why they haven’t done this a lot sooner.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Most of the mountain WMA deer hunts are buck only as well. The Coopers Creek youth hunt is the only one I see that is either-sex.

D

Deleted member 35556

Good change. Though, I'm not sure that it solves the problem.

carver

My cabin backs up to the National forest I see quite a few doe around my cabin and when I'm trout fishing in the Toccoa river,but it's not common to see a buck at all.Here on the out skirts of Young Harris it's the same story,doe's but few bucks,only saw one shooter buck last year and he chased a doe across the road in front of me.