Chattahoochee Sow

jbogg

142B27DA-DA93-47FD-8D47-31EAA50EB457.jpeg
It’s been a lot of miles walked, and a lot of lessons learned in the mountains over the past two years. I really appreciate all the guys on this forum who have been generous with their insight and advice as I have pestered them with questions over the last two years. Some I have met in person, and others I have yet to, but I appreciate all of you.

After seeing nothing but Sows with cubs and some small boars this year I decided this morning that I would run up to Chattahoochee this afternoon to try to take advantage of day one of the rifle hunt. On my way up I spoke with Joe Brandon who was also enroute as well as treecutter for some last minute game planning. This was the first check in hunt that I have ever attended, so I was pleased to see KillerKyle as I walked in to the check station to sign in. I mentioned to Kyle where I thought I would hunt for the afternoon and he replied that he had seen a bear the afternoon before in a nice spot and there was a good chance it would be back again today. I know better than to look a gift horse in the mouth so I thanked Kyle for the intel and quickly headed that way.

Shortly after arriving at around 2:30PM I saw the small boar that Kyle had seen the day before. After passing on a few small boars over the past two seasons I contemplated pulling the trigger since I had yet to take a bear and the clock for this year was ticking down. After watching him feed for about ten minutes I decided that the afternoon was still young, and the weather was so nice I decided I would just sit and see what happened. After the boar moved on it was only about 20 minutes later when a nice sized Sow showed up. I quickly decided that she would do nicely and the rest is history. I had been in the woods for less than one hour, had seen two Bears and taken my first.

I made it back to the check station by 4:30 PM. Kyle was still working, so he and his coworker hung her on the scales where she weighed in at 160 pounds. This was not the first time that Kyle has literally teed up a successful hunt for me, so I cannot thank him enough. I feel very blessed to have had an opportunity to take such a fine animal, and I’m looking forward to being able to enjoy some of that delicious bear meat that I have heard so much about.

Last edited:

GAbullHunter

Awesome congrats! I left outta woods today, told myself I should have made a hunt on the WMA today an decided to head on home after picking up from processor. Sure was nice enough weather to have been over there. Again congrats on that nice one!! Also again to all the hunters willing to lead ways on here an answer questions!!

Buckman18

Fantastic!!! Many congrats, Jbogg!!!

Rabun

Congratulations on a fine bear!! Persistence pays off. Hoping to join the ranks some day. Let us know how that meat cooks up :)

FOLES55

Well done on the bear!

Killer Kyle, well done also sir!

Killer Kyle

John I congratulate you in the most sincere way. Your bear was a gorgeous one, and had such a nice coat on her! I absolutely could not have been more tickled for you brother! That absolutely made my day! You deserved that bear. You hunt like a beast and have the hardest work ethic of anybody else out there, and I admire that about you. I am beyond happy for you.
You also set a good example for other hunters to follow. You got her gutted and rinsed her out quickly. Packed her body cavity with ice quickly, and got her to the processor quickly. That is the standard for proper meat care, and your end result is going to be a quality meat product. I'm super stoked for you man. That is a heck of a bear. She is a real beaut!

Back40hunter

Congrats. Nothing like have that timely intel and friends that share. That’s a big part of mountain success. It’s so hard to get it done without a little help. Congrats again!

CornStalker

JBogg!!! Congrats man! So glad that you finally bagged one. More than just the bear, you get to look back over the past few years and see how much you've learned about the animals, habitat, and the bear hunting community. Looking forward to meeting up with you in next few seasons.

PS: I found an awesome recipe in Field & Stream last year for a black bear chili. Wife made it and I loved it. https://www.fieldandstream.com/recipe-black-blue-chili

Cheers!

jbogg

JBogg!!! Congrats man! So glad that you finally bagged one. More than just the bear, you get to look back over the past few years and see how much you've learned about the animals, habitat, and the bear hunting community. Looking forward to meeting up with you in next few seasons.

PS: I found an awesome recipe in Field & Stream last year for a black bear chili. Wife made it and I loved it. https://www.fieldandstream.com/recipe-black-blue-chili

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Does not look like a traditional chili recipe at all, but I am definitely going to give it a try. My Crowd is pretty partial to my supersecret 30-year-old chili recipe, but we will throw this on them on a football Saturday and see what they say.

Cheers!