Chattahoochee trout techniques

nddb333

Just floated McGinnis Ferry to Abbotts Bridge. Picked up about 17 trout between my wife and I on Rapalas and In line spinners. It was a great trip. Only my second time trout fishing, first time in the Chattahoochee.

We were basically just throwing at down trees along the bank, underwater rock outcroppings and little patches of fast water. Basically just kept moving and made hundreds of casts! We did backtrack around McGinnis based on some advice from weagle about that stretch being good but kept moving for the most part.

Question.... Is this the strategy most of y'all use or do you find spots to post up in? Like deeper holes? Also what's a good artificial lure that'll get down into a deeper spot or do the Rapalas do the trick in the deep holes?

I was creeping up on a point where a little creek meets the river and saw a HUGE brown that had no interest in my Rapala! Awesome to spot em though.

Coenen

The rapala is my go-to on the river. No other lure required, IMO. A CD5 will do the job just about anywhere, any day, any time.

There are some obvious spots where you want to hang for a while and really work, but for the most part, shooting and moving is sufficient. Anywhere where you get one is frequently worth a second or third look. The rainbows especially will often be found in bunches.

That brown was probably asleep. Also worth asking, are you sure it was a brown? Lots of big suckers in the river, at first glance they look remarkably like a big ol' bruin.

Cmp1

BANNED
The suckers up here follow the Browns and eat their eggs,,,,if you catch a sucker,,,,might be Browns in the area,,,,

nddb333

Aaaaaahhhh! I'm gonna say it was a sucker to make myself feel better.
But actually no I'm not sure. My trout ID skills are novice.
I was using the Original Floating Minnow. Gonna switch to the Countdown so it will sink in the deeper spots.

weagle

I use a drag anchor and make multiple casts to likely spots. It's not unusual to catch one on the third or 4th cast to the same spot.

Any fast, deep run with rocks or downed trees has trout in it. I don't give up on a good spot quickly.

I also use small rattle traps and small shad raps in any spot the water is deep enough. The shad raps usually catch fewer but bigger fish.

It will take me a couple of hours to fish a 1/2 mile of river.

Teh Wicked

There are suckers and carp in the river...Quickly glancing will give you goose bumps sometimes. I have been fooled more than once...