Cheaper to buy than catch

Nimrod71

I stopped by the local Goat sale yesterday morning and there was a guy there selling fresh cat fish from the Oconee River. He had them all sizes, cleaned fresh, cleaned froze, and hide on. His price for hide on fresh from the river was $1.50 lb., Cleaned dressed fresh or frozen $3 lb. My last fishing trip I caught 14 fish they weighted about 10 lb. At Goat sale prices, I could have bought them for $15. I had $30 in the fishing trip before I left the house, gas in truck, gas for boat, bait, snacks, not counting the time. He had some really nice big fish, 20 - 30 lb. size, these would be great for making catfish stew. We talked and I am planning on getting a big one from him next week and fixing a big catfish stew for my friends. My wife has never fixed a fish stew, this is going to be fun. I fix it kind of like oyster stew but add potatoes and bacon and stiffen up the juice by adding some instant potato mix or I have used corn starch. Then just season to taste.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Well, I guess if the goal of hunting or fishing is to eat wild game, then yes, you'd be miles of money ahead to just pay someone to do it for you.

Fortunately, that's not why I hunt and fish. Fresh meat is a byproduct that I happen to enjoy.

Timberman

Last I heard it was against the law to sell wild game including fish ? Humm

You can buy all you want at the Buford Highway Farmers Market. Bream, bass, stripers, white bass, catfish, sand bass, I could literally go on and on. Wild caught too

Attachments

• 55165533242__15862AE2-530E-4A55-B9FA-0642E156F283.JPG
    55165533242__15862AE2-530E-4A55-B9FA-0642E156F283.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 69

MOTS

Not much law enforcement at the goat sale. You have never went to a pay pond to fish? Nimrod, it will cost if they were given to you, grease, meal, fries, hushpuppies etc.....lol.

JackSprat

You can sell catfish and rough fish if you have a commercial fishing license, which the goat roper almost certainly didn't have. Probably wasn't using a legal scale either, but, hey! it was cheap.

You can sell game fish that was caught in another state, and tagged, if you have a retail seafood license.

Inquiring minds want to know why one would want a big fish to make stew? Stew is an efficient way to use parts and pieces and heads.

This thread reminds me of the perennial threads from folks justifying shooting 10-12 deers because they need to feed their families "cheap".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can sell non-game fish such as catfish. You can get a commercial non-game fishing permit to do so, it's perfectly legal. Commercial catfishing is big business in the south.

You can sell some gamefish, such as trout, if they are farm-raised.

And to the OP, you don't have to spend all that money to catch catfish. Obviously, the guy selling them didn't.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I run trot lines once a year and catch enough catfish for 5 families to eat on the entire year. It's a good way to get the most out of the money you put in.
Yep, we run jugs about three weekends every spring, catch a couple hundred pounds each time, and put a pile of vacuum-sealed fillets in the freezer. Don't take much gas in a 14-foot jonboat with a 15 horse motor to run them, either. :)

j_seph

I stopped by the local Goat sale yesterday morning and there was a guy there selling fresh cat fish from the Oconee River. He had them all sizes, cleaned fresh, cleaned froze, and hide on. His price for hide on fresh from the river was $1.50 lb., Cleaned dressed fresh or frozen $3 lb. My last fishing trip I caught 14 fish they weighted about 10 lb. At Goat sale prices, I could have bought them for $15. I had $30 in the fishing trip before I left the house, gas in truck, gas for boat, bait, snacks, not counting the time. He had some really nice big fish, 20 - 30 lb. size, these would be great for making catfish stew. We talked and I am planning on getting a big one from him next week and fixing a big catfish stew for my friends. My wife has never fixed a fish stew, this is going to be fun. I fix it kind of like oyster stew but add potatoes and bacon and stiffen up the juice by adding some instant potato mix or I have used corn starch. Then just season to taste.
This fella and many like him is possibly one reason why you only caught 14 fish. Huge debate going right now on commercial fisherman taking the big cats out and selling to paylakes. I understand a man has to make a living but they keep taking huge numbers of big cats they are taking away from the future population as they are the breeders. Not the 3 pounders