Cheapo camo test. What do you see?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Deer won't see either one if you don't move.
Yep, but when you do move, either of those suits are going to hang up on every thorn, briar, and twig in the forest. They're great for sitting, but they aren't made for moving around.

transfixer

The one on the right (lighter colored) blends in the best in most vegetation, especially in daylight, the other one looks like a dark blob, would really only work well at nighttime, the military got away from standard woodland camo because it also appeared like a dark blob in many situations, what they use now is a good bit lighter, and blends better in a variety of situations.

I wear camo sometimes, but have killed more deer wearing jeans and a solid color shirt than any other clothing type, and I still wear jeans from time to time, now if I'm hiding from, or going after two legged critters then good camo is a must.

oldfella1962

IMHO you can't go wrong with ASAT (all season all terrain) camo. Three shades of brown in a pattern that breaks up your outline - too easy! Their long sleeve t-shirts are cheap, durable and last for years. Not much of a selection in pants though.

ASAT.jpg

transfixer

Honest question. If you`re deer hunting in a ghillie suit, how do you get that orange vest over it?

Realistically you don't ,,,, I've got a leafy suit and a ghillie suit I made many years ago, army parka with earth tone rags and burlap sewn onto it, I sometimes use either in turkey season, or bow season, but never in gun season .

transfixer

IMHO you can't go wrong with ASAT (all season all terrain) camo. Three shades of brown in a pattern that breaks up your outline - too easy! Their long sleeve t-shirts are cheap, durable and last for years. Not much of a selection in pants though.

View attachment 1037773

I bought an ASAT shirt and pants many years ago, from Brigade Quartermasters when they were in business in Kennesaw, I also had one of their ASAT leafy suits, which I believe my stepson still has. That pattern blends surprisingly well in a variety of environments

RipperIII

Lighter is always better...unless you set up in a perpetually shaded/dark spot.
as mentioned, Deer see in what is similar to a mono chromatic picture,...meaning color is not as essential as is shadings...light vs dark. ANY thing that stands out will catch their attention, whether it is too light in a darker area, or too dark in a lighter area...and outlines.
Most hunters in the woods hunt in lighter areas of dappled sunlight which moves with the sun, so dark camo stands out and is very obvious,...doesnt mean you'll spook the game, but if your goal is invisibility, then i'd stick with the lighter colored option.

Rich M

I have heard that deer can really pick blue out . But I have known guys who always hunted in Jean's.
I always wear jeans and often sit on a dove stool. Haven't had any trouble w them seeing me. They won't see em up in a tree for sure.

Gonna wear jeans this weekend but will have a camo shirt on. Most likely be on ground.

oldfella1962

I bought an ASAT shirt and pants many years ago, from Brigade Quartermasters when they were in business in Kennesaw, I also had one of their ASAT leafy suits, which I believe my stepson still has. That pattern blends surprisingly well in a variety of environments

Oh it does indeed. Also I'm a huge fan of the color brown for deer hunting, with grey a close second. Interesting thing I read, and something to be aware of with grey: grey is a combination of colors (like brown) and can be red based or blue based. Of course the red based grey is better because deer can't see high frequency wavelength colors like red too well, but they can see blue very well because their range of visible colors is geared toward the lower frequencies, even ultra-violet.

Rich M

Rich, I fixed it for you based on my 50 plus years of experience. :rofl::pop:
You got me beat by about 10 years I guess. This is my 42nd or 43rd season. They blend a bit.

I've always liked olive drab. Wear jeans, top varies based on temperature. Often hunt from ground.

Either of the op's options will work fine if he sits still. Be moving that head around looking and will get pegged from as far as the deer can see him.

Wifeshusband

I killed at least two dozen deer in the 70's and 80's wearing blue jeans and outlandish plaid shirts, before peer pressure forced me to wear some camo. Read an article a couple months ago in "Deer & Deer Hunting," that of all colors, Deer see blue the best. I guess my deer were color blind. A cousin of mine, God rest his soul, hunted deer in Carhart overalls. He killed a lot of deer. And then there's all those Yankees who hunt deer in complete orange outfits. Indians wore no Real Tree or Mossy Oak and they got along just fine.

7 point

I ware camo pants and shirt just to be on the safe side.

7 point

I killed at least two dozen deer in the 70's and 80's wearing blue jeans and outlandish plaid shirts, before peer pressure forced me to wear some camo. Read an article a couple months ago in "Deer & Deer Hunting," that of all colors, Deer see blue the best. I guess my deer were color blind. A cousin of mine, God rest his soul, hunted deer in Carhart overalls. He killed a lot of deer. And then there's all those Yankees who hunt deer in complete orange outfits. Indians wore no Real Tree or Mossy Oak and they got along just fine.
They didnt ware blue jeans either.

Latest posts