Check the swivels on your slings

rip18

The screw-type "lock" on one of my swing swivels came unscrewed at some point.

The spring-loaded pin came out & swung open.

The pin came out of the stud.

My Model 7 fell about 18 feet yesterday and hit barrel first on a root. (Why couldn't it have come loose when I was walking & holding on to the sling or just as I was pulling it up the tree?) (At least it waited until it was going down AFTER the hunt...)

Nothing appears broken, but haven't shot yet to see if scope retained zero (unlikely).

Lesson learned: Check your sling swivels.

SlipperyHill Mo

Good advice rip18,

I have had one come unscewed out of the stock on my synthetic muzzleloader and this could have caused a bad situation.

dbone

Outdoor Cafe Moderator
Had the same thing happen opening day last year , Rifle dropped 20' after I retreived it a nice buck came in to about 70 yrds , one shot and he didn't even flinch , I knew right then my scope was knocked off zero , so I sat there and let 3 more deer walk

moral ?? do a last minute check of your equipment before every hunt !!

Snakeman

Also check the chicago screws on you leather slings that fasten the leather together after it passes through the swivel. I suggest using a thread locker like LOCTITE on the screws, but you still need to check them often.

The Snakeman

striper commander

I had a plastic snap break letting my gun down a few years ago, the gun fell about 15 feet, and landed on a freshly fallen pine tree on the elevation adjustment. My gun is real heavy so i figured the scope was busted. It is a leupold varix lll the zero never changed man i was relieved when i got down to find it not broke.