Cherokee N.C. Trout Fishing

Thread starter #1

gunnurse

Does anyone ever go? I am wanting to arrange a trip with my brothers. Do they still heavily stock the streams in the dreads or summer? Any input would be appreciated.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Cherokee is stocked full 24/7/365 for the most part.

Thread starter #3

gunnurse

I guess I should have said trout catching at Cherokee. I’ve heard that it is hard to not catch trout, but was just wondering if it was true. We are going to make a day trip out of it, and my daughter is new at fly casting. I really want her to hook up as much as possible. Thanks NCH. I’ll let you know how the trip comes out. If this trip comes out ok, I’ll take my brothers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
I guess I should have said trout catching at Cherokee. I’ve heard that it is hard to not catch trout, but was just wondering if it was true. We are going to make a day trip out of it, and my daughter is new at fly casting. I really want her to hook up as much as possible. Thanks NCH. I’ll let you know how the trip comes out. If this trip comes out ok, I’ll take my brothers.
If you can’t catch stocker trout at cherokee, then you probably don’t have a bright future in the trout fishing business. ::gone:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
I'm not trying to be insulting at all, so forgive me if it came off like that. My meaning is that Cherokee is probably as close to a guaranteed thing as it gets as far as trout fishing goes. If you have any basic fishing ability and can recognize where the fish are likely going to be, and don't stand in the same place for an hour, you should catch some for sure, unless it's changed a lot since the last time I was there. More than once, I have caught a ten-fish limit from one good run. I see tourists fishing with 20lb test line and big red and white plastic bobblers the size of a golf ball on their line catch fish. :)

DSGB

Just got back from a four day trip. They stock twice a week. I've never really fished for trout and was able to catch a few the couple mornings I was able to fish. My 8 yo son and nephew even caught some when they weren't hung up in limbs, roots and rocks. :LOL:

ETA - All of ours were caught on spinning gear. I tried throwing some flies, but didn't have any luck, though I am very new to fly fishing.

Last edited:
Thread starter #9

gunnurse

That’s what I need. Remember, I qualified this as a day trip so my daughter could gain an appreciation of feeling a trout on a fly line (or that was at least what my intent was to portray- see post #3). Certainly no offense taken.

Just got back from a four day trip. They stock twice a week. I've never really fished for trout and was able to catch a few the couple mornings I was able to fish. My 8 yo son and nephew even caught some when they weren't hung up in limbs, roots and rocks. :LOL:

ETA - All of ours were caught on spinning gear. I tried throwing some flies, but didn't have any luck, though I am very new to fly fishing.
This made me laugh. I can relate.

DSGB

Can you camp near the river?
There are campgrounds up and down the river on the reservation. Not primitive camping and you will have lots of neighbors.

Fishing Cherokee is fun and there is lots of water to get away from people if you want. You don't have to fish in the trophy section to catch a hawg. I fish up there 3 or 4 times during the winter months and have a ball fishing small streamers, girdle bugs and crawfish patterns.