Chevy Suburban

naildrvr

I've got a 2011 Suburban with 136k miles. Earlier this week it started making a slight whining noise that was more audible when accelerating. Now it can be heard when the engine is first started. Could it be the transmission pump going bad? The whining noise seems to be a common problem, but I haven't found an answer to the root of the problem. Anyone have any knowledge of this? Thanks in advance.

naildrvr

PS pump was my first thought, but it doesn't get louder when you turn the wheel. Also I took the belt off this morning and started it and it still makes the noise.

naildrvr

I thought it was a bearing too, but like I said, I started the engine without the belt so that the water pump and the ps pump would not be turning and it still made the whining noise.

naildrvr

That's what I was thinking. I just haven't had mechanic work done in so long I really don't know who I can trust.

naildrvr

I did notice that it's on a different belt and didn't have my tools at home to get that belt off. I'm hoping that it's something fairly inexpensive whatever it is. I'm gonna try and check that out tomorrow.

transfixer

Check your trans fluid by pulling the stick and use a white napkin to wipe the fluid off, if you see metal particles in the fluid on the napkin, it could be transmission related, but if it is it will get worse fairly quickly, to the point that when the trans filter gets stopped up the trans will quit pulling, and you'll be sitting somewhere.

It wouldn't be unusualy for the AC compressor to be going out on those trucks either, and it could be one of the idler pulleys, or tensioner pulley. You can take a long extension ,( 24inches or longer) and put it on the center of the pulleys or on the mounting bracket, and put your ear to the other end of the extension, it will transfer the noise, move the extension around to various places and see if you can pin down the noise.

Artfuldodger

A whining noise doesn't sound like a bearing. Could be a pump, compressor, or alternator but you took the belt off. The A/C compressor wouldn't pump if the clutch isn't engaged.

Alternator, Transmission, or Power Steering.

Is the alternator on the same belt you removed?

Last edited:

Lukikus2

Water pump. Not that bad of a job with the right tools. May as well replace belts and hoses and be good for another 100 K miles.

Lukikus2

If you are driving it put some water jugs in there. Mine did it a week before Christmas. I woke up Christmas morning to a pool of antifreeze under my truck. Just got lucky I guess :bounce: