Chimney starters

The AmBASSaDEER

Where can I pick one up in my area?? How much?

chim.jpg

The AmBASSaDEER

My grandaddy always used a coffee can.

The AmBASSaDEER

thanks dude

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
All three above has them.

QTurn

Buy a MAPP torch. Waaaayyyyy more fun!!

Try to find a Weber, it is similar to the one you show. It is made of SS and very good quality. It also has better ventilation and will light quicker and more easily.

Most of the ones at the above stores are sheet metal. They will work, but not last nearly as long as the good ones.

FWIW, I have one of the cheap ones, but wish I had got the Weber, or similar one.

Academy may have the Weber, not sure.

Oh, yeah, and a piece of GI surplus firestarter beats the heck out of newspaper with no aftertaste.

The AmBASSaDEER

Try to find a Weber, it is similar to the one you show. It is made of SS and very good quality. It also has better ventilation and will light quicker and more easily.

Most of the ones at the above stores are sheet metal. They will work, but not last nearly as long as the good ones.

FWIW, I have one of the cheap ones, but wish I had got the Weber, or similar one.

Academy may have the Weber, not sure.

Oh, yeah, and a piece of GI surplus firestarter beats the heck out of newspaper with no aftertaste.
Where are the webbers at?
whats Gi firestarter?

Jake Allen

The ones at Ace hardware are about $10.00 and will last several years. They are about the right size, to hold the proper amount of charcoal). Kingsford has one out that holds too much charcoal.
(Go figure, they are out to sell the stuff).
These are one of the best things since sliced bread.
Good grilling!

Swede

Got me one recently at mao-mart think it was about $10 have used it twice, so far it's holding up. I wish I had bought one years ago. Could of saved a good deal of money on lighter fluid.

gun48nut

I got mine a few years back because I either had charcoal or fluid, but never both at the same time. It saved me a ton in lighter fluid. But....two things, make sure you place it on something that won't burn and don't do what my wife did and but the matchlight charcoal in it. I had a 4 foot flame coming out the top!

They are also great for adding charcoal to smokers.

SmokyMtnSmoke

The turkey fryer burner makes a very good starter. Just load the chimney with charcoal, set it on the propane burner, light it up and the charcoal will light up and be ready in about 5 min.

Happy grilling! :cool:

The AmBASSaDEER

I really like it,,,you can taste the diff, no lighter fluid at all. Even when you let the lighter fluid burn off the was still a hint left

Swede

I really like it,,,you can taste the diff, no lighter fluid at all. Even when you let the lighter fluid burn off the was still a hint left

Yeah, I was mad at myself for not using one years ago and it starts the coals in the same time. All that with a couple peices of newspaper.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
whats Gi firestarter?

Firestarter sticks. I think even BassPro sells something equivalent now. You should be able to pick them up at a GI Surplus store too.....if you happen to have an old M112 demo block laying around you could roll up little balls of Composition C4 and use it like Sterno...:bounce: (just kidding....before I end up on some list somewhere that the liberals are keeping on us outdoors types.....let me just say that I do not participate in or condone the possession or use of illegal weapons or explosives).

The AmBASSaDEER

Yeah, I was mad at myself for not using one years ago and it starts the coals in the same time. All that with a couple peices of newspaper.

My grandaddy shook his head when I told him bout matchlite. I thought he was sooooo old school useing the maxwell house can:banginghe

chimney staters, taste the difference...

cardfan

Banned
I used my old one until the bottom fell out of it...then I rigged it with wire coat hangers and got another 6 months out of it...I love my new one...it's a weber...my only complaint is that it's huge....just the wife and I and because I'm a dude, I need to fill it all the way up...I probably waste a lot of charcoal that way....

good tip, next time you're at publix/kroger/wherever...pick up a bag of hickory or mesquite....throw a couple chunks in the starter with your coals

S

Sugar Hill Scouter

I prefer ones made by Lodge Mfg.
They are bigger than the ones I've seen elsewhere and IMO, offer better ventilation.