Chufa Planted

01Foreman400

Staff member
Last weekend we planted 3 of bags Chufa Gold, applied 650 lbs. of 10-10-10 and then applied Prowl pre-emergent. The rain has hit just right. Hoping for a good stand.

cgrover1

We planted 6 bags earlier this spring (4 weeks ago). It's already up 6-8". I was surprised since we haven't had any rain since the day I planted it.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Good job Darrell. One of these days I am going to give up some of my deer plots and try some but not I have to get rid of all the hogs first.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Chufas will hold turkeys pretty good during the spring season here. They are also hog magnets.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Chufas will hold turkeys pretty good during the spring season here. They are also hog magnets.

We haven't planted any in 6 years. After the season we decided we had to do something. Last year we had a decent population using the property. This year we had very few birds. I ran 5 cameras for 4 months and got very few on camera. Really strange.

Luckily we don't have any hogs.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Darrell, once the acorns rot, chufas come into their own as a food source. Hope it works for you.

Dinosaur

Good looking soil for Chufa. My turkey woods are all swampy wet soils, won't grow chufa for nothing.

We haven't planted any in 6 years. After the season we decided we had to do something. Last year we had a decent population using the property. This year we had very few birds. I ran 5 cameras for 4 months and got very few on camera. Really strange.

Luckily we don't have any hogs.

I have coyote tracks chasing a turkey across a fresh plowed field.
I think the coyotes are devastating our Wild Turkey population. We also saw very few birds this year. way down from previous years and we have had a trapper come in for the last 2 years.

flintdiver

Does chufa grow well in piedmont type soils ? I always heard well drained sandy soils was best . Just curious, I am going to try some over here in west central GA. My soil here at the site I am going to plant looks alot like yours, clay mix.

01Foreman400

Staff member
It does do best in sandy soils. When I planted it in the past on this property it did good.

Curtis-UGA's picture was in sandy soil as well.