Church Attendance

SneekEE

I dont even know how to address this thought Ron, I am sure there are many reasons that are good reasons as to why folks dont go to church. I guess you are proly asking why do people who could go to church, but choose not to, and make an excuse not to go, when in reality they just dont want to go?

Hmmmmm. Well, why would someone who says they love to deer hunt, has all the cammo clothing, owns the newest bow, never go to the woods? Would you call him a deer hunter? Or if a person said they loved to fish, and they were a fisherman, who owned a boat, and the best rods, and all the tackle, but they never went on the lake or to a pond, would you call them a fisherman. Or, would you call someone a golfer who claimed he loved to golf, had the clubs, sighned up for the membership, but he never actualy got on the green to hit a ball?

I guess with christianity it has to do with ones sanctification, but as for me, I love the Lord, I have a bible, I read my bible, I witness, I pray, and every time the church doors are open, unless i have a good reason not to go, you can find me there. I figure heaven will be one realy long worship service, where i get to spend all eternity with the lord. If i dont like going to church now, i recon i wouldnt like going to heaven later??

But i also think you have to consider each case based on individual reasons.A person not going to church every chance he gets could be a sighn he is a false convert, or it could be a true believer who is having some unknown problem that has him defeated??? Or perhaps the one not going is the true believer, and his church has fallen into heracy, and he hasnt found another church? Many reasons, some good, some not.who knows but the lord?But I do think it is a example of the fruit a person bears, but with each one, you have to judge rightously, and just ask them individualy i would guess.

One thing I have ran accross witha few that hardly go to church, they said they just werent getting anything out of it? I think in that case a person needs to start going so that they can give in some way, insted of thinking it is about what they are supposed to get.I mean, I still havnt gotten over the fact that I have been saved, born again, and have the promise of eternial life with the jewel of heaven.......what more do you need, once you have that, i feel like i need to give back to somebody elese, even if i never get another thing.On second thought, even if God had not saved me, He is still worthy of my praise, He just is.And I read if we didnt praise Him, a rock would.Aint no way I am gonna let a sorry rock get my blessings or lay my crowns at the feet of Jesus.

But then again, is it enough that i go to church each time the lights are on, is it enough that i read my bible daily, ect ect, even with what I do, is it acceptable???
No, cause our most rightous act is as a filthy rag, God would not love me any more or any less if i only went to church 1 time a year. Cause my rightousness is not based on what I do for Jesus, my rightousness is based on what Jesus has done for me at calvary. Even in all my church going, bible reading, praying, repenting ect ect, I still have not lived each moment loving God with all my heart, I have yet to love Him, serve Him, or worship Him as He should be.So with that I can only say, nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling.

Oh well thats my rant. God bless and good night!

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

Hello Ronnie, you seem to be earnestly asking instead of judging so here is my take for your question. Lately after decades of attending every time the doors were opened, church has become something that I dread. I can remember when I judged people who attended on sunday morning but not sunday nights or mid week services. I think my new attitude comes from surveying what has gone on in the past. I ask myself, Have I learned anything here, I this actually fellowship," Hi, how are you, good". Has the church reached anybody, have we set anyone free, do I see any spiritual gifts here, will they ever go outside these walls, Why does everything have to be exploited for men to see. Why have they neglected true bible teaching and resorted to regiritating James Dodson? Why do they feel they are "doing" something to feed the local football team with elobrate meals yet take cans of soup to the homeless shelter once a year and drop them off. Why do we give 1000's of dollars to a singer to entertain us while neglecting the poor. Why do we plan so much in order to try and entice people from other churches to come to ours when all we would have to do is take a van to the homeless shelter. Why do we send people out of the country who can't even speak a foreign language. Why do we consider singing only 4 songs a worship to God. Why if the Holy Spirit is our only teacher do the services basically consist of us singing a few songs and then listen to a preacher spend the next hour trying to teach us something. I could go on and on but that should be enough for you to understand my point. Now for you guys who enjoy church, I'm glad for you, but take to heart what I am saying. Don't get caught up in obligated attendance. I've known people who went to church all their lives and never did anything else. That was good enough for them but not for me. If I'm gonna go to school to learn to be a fireman, I should go fight fires. I once asked a man from church whom I highly respected, why he did not attend on Wed nights. He responded, and I'll never forget it, Do you know how many hurting people that I would drive right by on the way to church? I, him not me, elected to spend that time calling older folk in the community who are lonely and neglected. And I can vouch for him that not only did he do this on Wed but other days as well. For me, I'm waiting this out, trying to work through it, trying to break free from my obligations that I have committed to. I suspect that I'm not the crowd you had in mind but maybe this has been an interesting take.

1gr8bldr

After reading the responses, I feel inclined to ask responders, why do you feel that attendance makes you more righteous than anyone else? I don't mean for it to sound as harsh as it sounds but truthfully, the responses speak for themselves. For those who attend because you enjoy going, this question is not intended for you.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
After reading the responses, I feel inclined to ask responders, why do you feel that attendance makes you more righteous than anyone else? I don't mean for it to sound as harsh as it sounds but truthfully, the responses speak for themselves. For those who attend because you enjoy going, this question is not intended for you.

Both your comments are important to be heard and is the kind of information church leadership need to hear.

Some people do feel more righteous just because they're at church more than someone else......
But they shouldn't count on it.

SneekEE

I didnt have time to read the other responses yet, so i dont know if they sounded like they were saying they were rightous for church attendance. If I sounded like i was saying i was more rightous than other because I go to church alot, then i am sorry, cause I didnt mean it that way. That is why I ended my response in a way that i thought, (correct me if i am wrong,) made it clear that I did not think church going made me rightous. I said this....

But then again, is it enough that i go to church each time the lights are on, is it enough that i read my bible daily, ect ect, even with what I do, is it acceptable???
No, cause our most rightous act is as a filthy rag, God would not love me any more or any less if i only went to church 1 time a year. Cause my rightousness is not based on what I do for Jesus, my rightousness is based on what Jesus has done for me at calvary. Even in all my church going, bible reading, praying, repenting ect ect, I still have not lived each moment loving God with all my heart, I have yet to love Him, serve Him, or worship Him as He should be.So with that I can only say, nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling.

God bless you

1gr8bldr

I didnt have time to read the other responses yet, so i dont know if they sounded like they were saying they were rightous for church attendance. If I sounded like i was saying i was more rightous than other because I go to church alot, then i am sorry, cause I didnt mean it that way. That is why I ended my response in a way that i thought, (correct me if i am wrong,) made it clear that I did not think church going made me rightous. I said this....

God bless you
Hello Sneakee, I usually don't even notice who says what. My point was to motivate those observing my comments to focus on "being" the church and not only attending. Be blessed

Jeff57

Why do some Christians attend church every time the doors are open?
They never miss a Bible class. They're always there morning, night, Wed nights, revivals, always.
Hi Ronnie, Good questions. Since you specified Christians and not church-goers I would say they are being fed and desire fellowship with their brothers and sisters.

Yet some Christians come to Sunday morning worship time only. Always there for worship time, but not for anything else, ever. Why?
Some may only need to assemble once a week for edification. Hebrews tells us we are to come together to provoke one another to good works. The fellow 1gr8bldr testified of who spent his Wednesday nights doing good works is an example.

And some attend once or twice each month. They are faithfully there, once or twice a month.
What's the difference???
They all claim to love the Lord and support the local church as much as the other.
What's the difference?
If we're still talking about Christians and not church-goers I would say different folks have different needs and ministries. Who's the more faithful, the man who attends every service, helps with chores on work days and cleans the church once a week at no charge or the man that attends only Sunday morning service but has a bible study at his home on Monday and helps at the local soup kitchen on Thursday's? They are both the body of Christ, one being a hand and the other being a foot. Both are faithful yet the one who attends every service is seen by some as being the more faithful based solely on church attendance.

How about you?

I have a music ministry that keeps me from my home church about 3 out of every 4 Sundays but I attend every time I can. Why? Because I have a deep love for my church family and miss them when I'm not there. I also have a need and desire for corporate worship with like minded believers.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Some things must be understood about attending organized church assemblies for the purpose of worshipping God and studying/learning.

1. There's only two who can make your time there beneficial: You and God. And God will do His part. Gathering together with other Christians is as much spiritual as it is physical. If you'll walk through the doors looking for God, you'll find Him because He'll already be with you.

2. During the singing, make the melody in your heart. Be serious about the words. Forget about the piano and organ. Make it about you and your Lord and Savior.

3. Take your Bible with you. It's your 'operators manual'. It has the answers to everything.

4. Don't expect the preacher to keep you awake. You keep yourself awake. It's important stuff he's talking about. He most likely spent 12 to 15 hours planning for that 25 minute lesson.

5. Don't just listen to the public prayers, pray them. Allow them to become your words. Pay attention to who's on the prayer list. Pray for them yourself during the week.

6. Never think that assembly time is when you worship God. Every breathe you take should be in worship to God.

7. Learn to love the other people there. Don't judge everything that happens while you're there. Don't expect them to be perfect cause you sure ain't.

8. Be sure to thank God for giving you other Christians to help strengthen you and keep you focused.

*Anyone have anything else to add to this list.....................

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Hi Ronnie, Good questions. Since you specified Christians and not church-goers I would say they are being fed and desire fellowship with their brothers and sisters.

Some may only need to assemble once a week for edification. Hebrews tells us we are to come together to provoke one another to good works. The fellow 1gr8bldr testified of who spent his Wednesday nights doing good works is an example.

If we're still talking about Christians and not church-goers I would say different folks have different needs and ministries. Who's the more faithful, the man who attends every service, helps with chores on work days and cleans the church once a week at no charge or the man that attends only Sunday morning service but has a bible study at his home on Monday and helps at the local soup kitchen on Thursday's? They are both the body of Christ, one being a hand and the other being a foot. Both are faithful yet the one who attends every service is seen by some as being the more faithful based solely on church attendance.

I have a music ministry that keeps me from my home church about 3 out of every 4 Sundays but I attend every time I can. Why? Because I have a deep love for my church family and miss them when I'm not there. I also have a need and desire for corporate worship with like minded believers.

Good comments Jeff.

emtguy

I liked both post above but my question remains, If Jesus is inside you 100 percent why would you not want to go to church? Jesus was at the tabernacle as " his CUSTOM was"...meant he went enough for it to be a regular occurance, a custom. A all the time thing...and if he is in you then you will go b/c he wants to go, it's his custom.

Ronnie i'll leave your thread alone now, i'e enjoyed the disscusion but i'm saddened by the responces...church should never be a chore or dreaded thing.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I liked both post above but my question remains, If Jesus is inside you 100 percent why would you not want to go to church? Jesus was at the tabernacle as " his CUSTOM was"...meant he went enough for it to be a regular occurance, a custom. A all the time thing...and if he is in you then you will go b/c he wants to go, it's his custom.

Ronnie i'll leave your thread alone now, i'e enjoyed the disscusion but i'm saddened by the responces...church should never be a chore or dreaded thing.

My friend, this isn't m thread, it's yours.

emtguy

My friend, this isn't m thread, it's yours.

My freind, bout 100% sure you started this thread, atleast the original question on it was ask by you and your GON statistics think you started it...LOL
When i clicked on " all threads started by" under your statistics this thread was number 1.
I just hi-jacked it maybe? LOL

Maybe age is catching up with you or youre like me and start so many you cant keep up with them?HaHa...

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
My freind, bout 100% sure you started this thread, atleast the original question on it was ask by you and your GON statistics think you started it...LOL
When i clicked on " all threads started by" under your statistics this thread was number 1.
I just hi-jacked it maybe? LOL

Maybe age is catching up with you or youre like me and start so many you cant keep up with them?HaHa...

I meant that even if I started this thread, it's as much yours as mine.
You have not hijacked it. It's your to use and I'm glad for your comments. :bounce:

jason4445

One of the Widow women I help and whom I considered one of the very few real Christians I have ever know never missed a service or Sunday School. She told me the week just did not start right if she did not go to church.

When I was a cop in a medium sized town on Friday and Saturdays I was regualry flagged down by someone wanting to know where the Baptist Chruch was in town. Of course like any southern town they were all over the place, but the two largest were in town and right close to each other so I had to learn about them. The First Baptist had a strict formal service, and the other one a Tabernacle Baptist Church was more Fundamentalist with the down home preaching, people running up and shaking to be saved, lots of hollering praising all the heavenly hosts that kind of thing. So I would tell them the differences and they could decide which one to go to and I could give them directions.

There were a lot of people traveling I-75 stopping for the night and on Sunday before they headed out again wanted to go to a church.

SneekEE

Some things must be understood about attending organized church assemblies for the purpose of worshipping God and studying/learning.

1. There's only two who can make your time there beneficial: You and God. And God will do His part. Gathering together with other Christians is as much spiritual as it is physical. If you'll walk through the doors looking for God, you'll find Him because He'll already be with you.

2. During the singing, make the melody in your heart. Be serious about the words. Forget about the piano and organ. Make it about you and your Lord and Savior.

3. Take your Bible with you. It's your 'operators manual'. It has the answers to everything.

4. Don't expect the preacher to keep you awake. You keep yourself awake. It's important stuff he's talking about. He most likely spent 12 to 15 hours planning for that 25 minute lesson.

5. Don't just listen to the public prayers, pray them. Allow them to become your words. Pay attention to who's on the prayer list. Pray for them yourself during the week.

6. Never think that assembly time is when you worship God. Every breathe you take should be in worship to God.

7. Learn to love the other people there. Don't judge everything that happens while you're there. Don't expect them to be perfect cause you sure ain't.

8. Be sure to thank God for giving you other Christians to help strengthen you and keep you focused.

:clap::clap::clap: only thing I thought of is understand it is all about God and what you can do to glorify Him, it is not about you, or how God can bless you on that day.

THREEJAYS

I would only add that this isn't our service to God as mentioned it should be a time thats looked foward to.I like the way you spelled it out.

SneekEE

I would only add that this isn't our service to God as mentioned it should be a time thats looked foward to.I like the way you spelled it out.

I am confused by that statement, are you saying service to God is not a time looked forward to?Cause I find the more I serve God, the more joy I have.