Church Payroll

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I see adds in the paper looking for pastors and different people for the church with a salary listed. Our church has no salary set aside for the Pastor nor anyone else, although the Church takes care of the Pastor, not with a set salary as to say regardless, you will be paid $40,000 per year. Whats your take on a hireling?

Madsnooker

Chrisw said:
I see adds in the paper looking for pastors and different people for the church with a salary listed. Our church has no salary set aside for the Pastor nor anyone else, although the Church takes care of the Pastor, not with a set salary as to say regardless, you will be paid $40,000 per year. Whats your take on a hireling?

How is your pastor paid?

PWalls

We pay our Pastor a salary. It's not a huge amount. Of course, we also pay his medical insurance, he lives in the Pastorium, he gets a retirement "CD" benefit of some sort and just about anybody would feed him at the drop of a hat.

I wouldn't expect any church to do less. They are men with a hard job and should receive compensation for that job.

I would guess the amount is set by the congregation based on the individual's experience, the congregation's personal feelings and the church budget.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Madsnooker said:
How is your pastor paid?

He is completely dependant on the Church for support but without a set salary. Our Church makes sure he is well taken care of with everything. But we dont have a set salary that says we pay you this amount of money. Some Churchs say we pay 300 per week, some say we pay 40,000 per year, ours ranges and depends on the congregational giving, Church bills due. And that is one thing I know for sure, if a bill is due, it is going to be paid before the due date every month. That is one thing he teaches us hard, pay your bills and be a good steward. One week the Church may have 100 left, next week it might be 220, but nothing set to say this certain amout every week. He is well taken care of with everything and if the treasurer gives him 150 this Sunday, he will put what is left in the offering plate next Sunday, whether it be 5 or 75. He has been with us for 35 years. Im 34, he was at the hospital when I was born, came to my school activities, field days, awards, graduation and so forth. Been at the doctor with me, preached my families funerals, weddings, preached my wedding. I have a picture of him holding me when I was about a day old, strange, I also have a picture of him holding my child at a day old 26 years later. He is truly a Pastor and Im not knocking people paying Pastors, just wanting to see how others do it. They got to eat and live to.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
My salary, along with the rest of staff salaries is set each year at our Charge Conference and is a line item in our annual budget. My salary package (As are all other pastors appointed by the bishop) is public knowledge as posted in our Annual Conference reports (About 1,000 churches in all). Our individual staff salaries, however, are simply listed as one bulk budget line and are not broken down into individual salary packages). I'd do what I do for nothing (and have before), but it sure is nice to have a paycheck come the first of the month ;) :)

Dixie Dawg

Chrisw said:
He has been with us for 35 years. Im 34, he was at the hospital when I was born, came to my school activities, field days, awards, graduation and so forth. Been at the doctor with me, preached my families funerals, weddings, preached my wedding. I have a picture of him holding me when I was about a day old, strange, I also have a picture of him holding my child at a day old 26 years later.

I don't think that's 'strange' at all, I think that's pretty cool! Sounds like you have someone that was more than just a pastor, but a family member. :)

Hugs!
Kerri ;)

BANDERSNATCH

I wonder where in history pastors began to be paid for their work? Not that I'm against it -- I'm glad my pastor doesn't have to worry about his finances --- just curious. Probably started when the tradition of Sunday night and Wednesday night services began. :)

Bandy