Church service expectations

buckpasser

A little background. I was raised in an Independent Baptist Church. My wife was raised AG with some family members being COG. Obviously, we have different backgrounds. When we eventually joined the Southern Baptist Church of our community (this is what we both felt we were led to do) I told them up front that I was not really a SB, just a bible believing sinner saved by grace, and they said that’s fine, come join us.

I spent some time in AG and I came to understand and appreciate their position. However, I never felt compelled to do things that others did in worship, even though there was obviously plenty of “freedom of worship”. Little things such as raising hands never became a norm for me because if I were to do this in public, it would be more for show than my natural “in church” behavior. I believe that if I were raised in a Pentecostal church this would be different.

That brings me to my real question. What is a normal church service expectation for you Pentecostal believers? In the churches I attended, I’d say things only got wildly different from Baptist services about maybe 10-30% of the time. I was visiting with my wife’s uncle this weekend and he brought up on two occasions that he expects tongues and interpretation in every service and seemed to put down churches that only rarely or never experience this. Thoughts?

buckpasser

Note: This post is not for putting down anyone’s style of worship. Like I said, I’m a hybrid at this point. I was just surprised at this expectation and hoped it was rare. Not being “open” to the power of God seems to be possible on both sides of the spectrum.

Havana Dude

Raised independant here too. Attend SB now, have for about 13 years. Never in my life saw a hand raised, or the rare occasion of someone standing up, hands raised. Now I do. I’m not going to judge either. It’s not my style at all. My personal opinion, and we all know what that’s worth, is that it is largely for show. Sorry, that’s just how I see it. I would venture to say, those who raise hands etc., were raised that way, at least the vast majority. For me it is a distraction. But again I say, that’s just me. We also have not joined this church, so I view myself as a long time guest anyways. I don’t much care for the Jerry Lee Lewis style music minister either, but the pastor is incredible.

Artfuldodger

As far as tongues, I'd think if it happens it happens. I would not expect it to be a weekly expectation. My expectations would be prayer, singing, and a sermon. Anything extra, such as a testimony, etc. would be great but not an expectation.

Israel

BANNED
My expectation is of the Lord's appearing among those that profess, in some manner, a first appearing of Him to them.

But, because I also know a little bit about expectations, how they may flag into a sort of obscurity by other seeming demands that would present themselves (read the parable of the sower and the seed) and how even what is claimed in one moment may be quite seemingly absent in the next, my own expectations are always being dealt with.

If a "coming together" is in any way designated a special time, one might have some sense that this would be a true representation of a sum of sorts (though I do have hope for exponential influence, more like a chain reaction) in the gathering of all that brings their specialness in time into that gathering.

I expect in hope the exercise of a liberty in full complementation to a more disciplined expectation of that which the Spirit testifies "Behold, I come quickly". I expect that expectation encouraged, nourished, reproved to (as needed), exhorted to most frequently, and in no way undercutting of the instruction inherent that this is to be seen in the command "Behold".

You might see, if you are able, that things that speak of their own permanence and persistence apart from any discipline to "Lord willing" in either what they plan, or even in all seeming holiness of hope to see accomplished, have a different flavor in light of the Lord's command to Behold his coming quickly.

And it is really far more than a "time" thing, where one might find even his ability to assign a specialness to it, or any. For what lives there has actually, truly, slipped its bonds.

I expect a growth in the expectations of the Expected One, not without regard for His very sobering question:

Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Which directs me to consider His, and only His, hope of finding. Unless of course, one is persuaded the Lord has no care to find faith.

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

A little background. I was raised in an Independent Baptist Church. My wife was raised AG with some family members being COG. Obviously, we have different backgrounds. When we eventually joined the Southern Baptist Church of our community (this is what we both felt we were led to do) I told them up front that I was not really a SB, just a bible believing sinner saved by grace, and they said that’s fine, come join us.

I spent some time in AG and I came to understand and appreciate their position. However, I never felt compelled to do things that others did in worship, even though there was obviously plenty of “freedom of worship”. Little things such as raising hands never became a norm for me because if I were to do this in public, it would be more for show than my natural “in church” behavior. I believe that if I were raised in a Pentecostal church this would be different.

That brings me to my real question. What is a normal church service expectation for you Pentecostal believers? In the churches I attended, I’d say things only got wildly different from Baptist services about maybe 10-30% of the time. I was visiting with my wife’s uncle this weekend and he brought up on two occasions that he expects tongues and interpretation in every service and seemed to put down churches that only rarely or never experience this. Thoughts?

Having been a disciple for 35 years and a born-again believer for 30, I've been to lots of services. My personal expectation (hope) is for there to be a genuine opportunity to worship and that the Word of God to be preached and/or taught. I recognize that Christian liberty provides broad latitude for different groups of Christians to express themselves differently in their public meetings, but I also have an expectation that a given group will adhere to their own public statements in their meetings. If they say something like "all welcome" but don't really welcome those who may look, worship, or believe differently from them - I detect a problem. If they say something like "no opinions, just Scripture" or equivalent, I detect a problem if they are upholding traditions of man above the Word of God.

I've attended lots of Pentacostal and Charismatic churches over the years. The overemphasis on tongues, prosperity, and healing does not seem as prevalent as it was in the 80s and 90s. Most seem to recognize that different churches have different callings and there seems to be less looking down on churches that don't have tongues in their public worship (or don't believe in it at all).

I don't mind doctrinal distinctives. I also don't mind that a given church is walking according to their own beliefs and in some sense thinks their beliefs are more correct that churches with other beliefs. If a Pentacostal church thought the Baptist church down the road had better beliefs, one would hope they would simply improve their beliefs and practices. But I appreciate a sense of humility and the ability to hold one's tongue rather than pride and belittling other churches for doctrinal distinctives over things like tongues.

Last edited:

buckpasser

Yeah, I’ve tried to pay close attention to the things that people “draw a line” at that would separate them in their minds from me or other believers. It’s my hope that all believers can somehow become closer together in the future. The little Methodist churches in my rural area are really hurting. If I could, I’d spray paint over our sign until it just read “church”.

Madman

Worship styles and experiences differ and I have no problem with most of them. I expect to meet God in corporate worship, he is the audience, I am the one who offers adoration.

Liturgia, is the work of the people, my liturgia may differ from another's.

My only prayer is that my liturgia is offered in "spirit and truth" and that it is pleasing to God.

THEREFORE with Angels and Archangels, and with all
the company of heaven, we laud and magnify thy
glorious Name; evermore praising thee, and saying,
HOLY, HOLY, HOLY, Lord God of
hosts, Heaven and earth are full of thy
glory: Glory be to thee, O Lord Most High. Amen.

Israel

BANNED
I think/hope as time goes on we will find that the man made doctrines that divide folks won't be so important.
I see that. And as heartily as I may agree, I do.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Raised backwoods Baptist. No tongues, no rolling on the floor. But, lots of the preacher jumping up and down screaming, shouting, screeching, running up and down the aisles, and such.

buckpasser

Raised backwoods Baptist. No tongues, no rolling on the floor. But, lots of the preacher jumping up and down screaming, shouting, screeching, running up and down the aisles, and such.

We had some of that description and some that had the mannerisms of a librarian. I dealt well with both, I just don’t appreciate personal opinions from the pulpit if they are not clear cut backed by the Bible. I most appreciate elderly and bivocational pastors and preachers.

Israel

BANNED
We had some of that description and some that had the mannerisms of a librarian. I dealt well with both, I just don’t appreciate personal opinions from the pulpit if they are not clear cut backed by the Bible. I most appreciate elderly and bivocational pastors and preachers.
Is bivocational like welder/pastor, surgeon/pastor, farmer /pastor, loan officer/pastor?

buckpasser

Is bivocational like welder/pastor, surgeon/pastor, farmer /pastor, loan officer/pastor?

Exactly. You pretty well know a man who lays block all week then preaches on Sunday probably ain’t in it for the big money. You also know he isn’t “called” just to avoid a real job.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Exactly. You pretty well know a man who lays block all week then preaches on Sunday probably ain’t in it for the big money. You also know he isn’t “called” just to avoid a real job.
For a real Pastor it is a real commitment. They may not work 8 hour days, but they're on call 24 hours a day & no telling the hours they put in visiting folks, hospital visits, etc.

Israel

BANNED
I can agree with both of the above posts. I also am inclined toward tentmaker/ preacher, but only because that speaks of the things you say Buckpasser...yet, I can also see the Lord able to such touch a man so that he takes that ministry seriously...even as Paul....did his, that he's not in it to avoid anything...but go through everything for which he is learning that he, and all with him, so need the Lord.

My own preference for "dirt under the fingernails" guys is allowed, I believe, in grace...but I have also learned I am in a dangerous spot when I can't even begin to think of the Lord using a man with a manicure. Lord help me, I was gunna make a joke about pedicures at the place the line should be drawn...but...I'm sobering up...

pacecars

Raised in a Pentecostal church into my 20s and have been Baptist for the last 39 or so years. I am used to the raising hands and speaking in tongues and have no Osiris with it. My kids have been Baptist so when visiting my uncle that is a Pentecostal preacher’s church they were a little freaked out. I think it is how you were brought up and what you are used to

macbeth

I was not raised in church and didnt start going till my early twenties.with tha being said I have been in a Pentecostal for the past 28 years. my grandmother was baptist and i went to revival with her as a kid.saw a lot of hooting and hollering. I myself am not a dedicated hand raiser, but if you feel the lords presence during worship and you wish to fellowship with him with your hands raised thats up to the individual. seen a lot of speaking in tongues. I dont have a problem with that either. sometimes i fell like the individual is faking it. other times I know its god...you can feel his presence.as for paid pastors... the bible says a workman is worthy of his hire....it is a full time job shepherding a flock of sheep. thats my thoughts on that. at the end of the day its between you and god...

gordon 2

1 Timothy 2:8

Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.
----------------

I have witnessed many different forms of lifted up hands. So it is biblical to do so- for men in this case. If I have questioned that some of it is for show, it is usually when pretty girls with fresh shaven armpits in sleeveless summer dresses reach for the heavens... and then that I might forget the power of emotions and scripture is not the same to all--- and the actions not meant to impress me.

It is that expression can come to overuse and for custom of decreased meaning in the dealings of a person--but to God who judges the heart... on them in worship I cannot place my worry or for scripture's sake dissension.

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’m not down on raised hands or paid preachers. I just mentioned the pastors I most appreciate. My current pastor deserves more than he’s paid for always being there, in prayer of not in person. A truly wonderful man and teacher.

As for the raising of hands, it’s more of a private worship behavior for me, and I believe that’s mostly because of my upbringing. Macbeth, I’ve seen some displays of tongues that I would bet are not authentic, but couldn’t or didn’t try and prove it. I’ve always said, if you were truly witness to God pouring his Spirit into someone and causing his actual speech to come out of them, then empowering another to interpret this message, you should be overcome with emotion and appreciation by this encounter. If it happens to the point of everyone shaking hands and asking what’s for lunch ten minutes later, that disturbs me. At the same time, what kind of person would possibly want to fake such a thing???