Clear Cut

toolmkr20

Well looks like they’re cutting around 866 acres of our property that we hunt. I doubt they’ll be able to cut all of it because of terrain issues. Hopefully they’ll be done before Turkey season. So what’s the best thing to plant in a fresh clear cut for turkey and deer?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Nothing, for now?

Will they spray? If so, find out what they will spray with. Arsenal?

Will they replant?

Arsenal Herbicide.JPG

HermanMerman

We always plant the loading decks with some mixture of wheat, oats, rye, and assorted greens. But I have never seen deer pile into them the way they browse and are comfortable in the clear cut itself. I have tried planting summer plots in the loading decks before, but there is so much weed seed being stirred up from planting or being blown in from regeneration in the clear cut that the need for spraying is too much to keep up with unless you live close enough to monitor.

I know there are others here that can provide a better answer but just thought I would share my experience. Clear cuts themselves are your best friend. That is of course unless they spray it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you have already identified the areas y’all are going to plant go ahead and get soil samples. If it has been in forest you are almost certainly going to need a few thousand pounds of lime per acre.

You can also take some measurements to determine the actual acreage of plots. The typical loading dock is 1/4 to 1/2 acre.

Talk to the equipment operators onsite now and pay them to clear off debris, stumps, etc. An investment of $100 can save you many days of work.