Close Encounter

Rabun

Saturday morning I packed up to do a little scouting. Been seeing many bears lately so stayed on high alert. Following the scouting trip (after seeing nothing), was sitting on deck cooling off and doing a couple emails on my phone. About ten minutes had gone by...just sitting there typing away on the phone. Noticed some movement in the corner of my eye and saw a nose poke out behind a tree (tree is one of those that grow through a cut out in the deck). Didn't really look at it thinking it was my brothers black Scottie...then I see a great big paw (for a scottie) come into sight and then the whole head...bear head. I turn my head and we lock eyes...across an umbrella table 5 feet away at the most. I'm sitting there with my hands on my phone and eyes locked with this young bear and not knowing how he may react, I reach and place my hand on my pistol (holstered) and at the same time pull my camera up and try and get a picture of it. Pretty much as soon as I move, he bolts right over the deck railing down an 8 foot vertical and scampers off. The only way the bear got to where he was in the first place was to walk down the adjacent gravel driveway, step from there to the deck and walk right behind me no more than 3 feet away...never heard a sound. I'm not sure he even knew I was there until I moved. Phone was on silent so no key noise and the only movement I was making before I saw him was my fingers typing, so with my back to him, he wouldn't have seen that. Smelled me...absolutely...but there's always human sent there. I'm surprised he didn't sniff the back of my neck.

Amazed at how stealthy these bears can be. i walked down that gravel as soft as I could...made a racket....could hear the dogs walking down the gravel no problem. Never felt endangered but definitely a stimulating encounter. I think the same for him as he left a trail of pee all the way out.

jbogg

That would get my attention for sure. The bears seem to be hanging around a lot of cabins and campsites right now. A little over five weeks and counting. Can’t wait!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
At least you have a great story to tell!
By the way- are you Greg N Clayton's next door neighbor?:rofl::biggrin2:

Rabun

That would get my attention for sure. The bears seem to be hanging around a lot of cabins and campsites right now. A little over five weeks and counting. Can’t wait!

They seem to be overly brazen this year. This bear seemed so small/young I wonder if momma ran it off or something happened to her and he's desperate for food. Hopefully will be able to thin one or two out this year.

Rabun

Wow I’d be changing shorts after that!

That ranks right up there on the pucker factor scale.

Strange but I didn't feel scared. Of course it all happened so fast. I'm just glad none of the dogs were around. We normally have three or four up there but last weekend only had the Scottie and he was on walk w owner at the time. That's why I thought it was him at first. I'm sure we'll see him again...hopefully in the woods when he's legal :)

ripplerider

It's that time of year when bears are mating and Momma runs her old cubs off to fend for theirselves. I've only seen 2 bears this year the second one I saw last Friday was a really big one. Big enough that I thought someone's cow had got out when I first saw it on the rd. embankment. I'd like to cross paths with him this Fall straight uphill from the truck. I have a friend who lives in Long Branch S.C. just over the river from you who said she's been seeing bears all over the place.

Rabun

It's that time of year when bears are mating and Momma runs her old cubs off to fend for theirselves. I've only seen 2 bears this year the second one I saw last Friday was a really big one. Big enough that I thought someone's cow had got out when I first saw it on the rd. embankment. I'd like to cross paths with him this Fall straight uphill from the truck. I have a friend who lives in Long Branch S.C. just over the river from you who said she's been seeing bears all over the place.

That's what I was thinking...seemed very young to be on his own. I bet I've seen 12-15 bears this season...I'm sure there were repeat bears, but still a lot of sightings. Pretty much seen zero deer. We need to thin them out before a serious incident occurs...only a matter of time I'm afraid and I hope I'm wrong. Bears getting in cars, walking around houses/cabins/campgrounds/etc., invading swim/picnic areas and stealing picinic baskets (Big Canoe) with families and kids running around and the list goes on. I used to not be interested in killing a bear...not any more...there are just too many and the numbers will continue to rise unless we hunters can make a dent in them.

greg_n_clayton

In the past, they have seemed to wary of humans and avoid contact with them. It does seem that are beginning to get braver about being around people now days !! I wish they would have a 2 week hunt with dogs like they do in SC where you can take them over a dog. There is a very large population of near up here to the North ! Everybody that I have talked to treed at least 1 this past Wdnesday in the rain !!

Rabun

We had painters up this week and that darn bear came by twice...walks the deck of the house. We never have any food/garbage/etc. that he has access to. I think our place is part of "his territory". September 8 may be a day of reckoning...