Closing out an era

bany

After a couple decades of camping we decided to sell the travel trailer. Our go to paradise was destroyed by Micheal last year and that was our primary spot for the last several years. We have been doing those k-cabins on long trips and maybe I dust off the tent occasionally. Melancholy morning so I thought I’d just come here for a boo-hoo☹️

Last edited by a moderator:

Artfuldodger

I think RV's and travel trailers are a great alternative to motel rooms for cheaper vacations. I'd hate to think what it would have cost us over the years staying in motels. Except maybe the beach where campgrounds cost about the same as a motel.

We never made it past a pop-up but it was fun when our kids were little. It finally dry rotted. Then we just didn't camp for a few years but like you started going a few times a year in a tent. Those were true camping adventures in places less touristy.

At that point, if we went to places like Myrtle Beach or Pigeon Forge, we stayed in a motel. It also depends on the length of the trip. It's not too expensive staying in a motel in Franklin, NC a couple of nights to go gem mining.

We take a couple of trips each year to Orlando and Hilton Head. For those we rent a condo. My wife and one daughter quit camping all together so me and my other daughter continued to car camp. We usually try to stay at least 3 nights with all the rigging one has to do.

It's fun and more relaxed. We don't do any tourist stuff, just hike and canoe. Maybe geocache, read, look for rocks, cook in the dutch oven, etc.

The past few years, we switched to hammocks. We still pitch a rainfly over the picnic table. Build a fire every night. Go swimming. Take a nap.

It's getting that time. We'll probably go soon.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m seriously considering the hammock route. Usually by myself and don’t do the tourist route

greg_n_clayton

I think RV's and travel trailers are a great alternative to motel rooms for cheaper vacations. I'd hate to think what it would have cost us over the years staying in motels. Except maybe the beach where campgrounds cost about the same as a motel.

We never made it past a pop-up but it was fun when our kids were little. It finally dry rotted. Then we just didn't camp for a few years but like you started going a few times a year in a tent. Those were true camping adventures in places less touristy.

At that point, if we went to places like Myrtle Beach or Pigeon Forge, we stayed in a motel. It also depends on the length of the trip. It's not too expensive staying in a motel in Franklin, NC a couple of nights to go gem mining.

We take a couple of trips each year to Orlando and Hilton Head. For those we rent a condo. My wife and one daughter quit camping all together so me and my other daughter continued to car camp. We usually try to stay at least 3 nights with all the rigging one has to do.

It's fun and more relaxed. We don't do any tourist stuff, just hike and canoe. Maybe geocache, read, look for rocks, cook in the dutch oven, etc.

The past few years, we switched to hammocks. We still pitch a rainfly over the picnic table. Build a fire every night. Go swimming. Take a nap.

It's getting that time. We'll probably go soon.
Keep me informed !

bany

St.Joe. About due west of Mexico Beach.
The camper sold in about 18 hours. Am sorting out things for tenting we used in the trailer. I like your streamline ideas artful!
I have to say, never buy a Jayco. But that’s something for another day and thread.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I agree, don't walk away from camping, just change how you do it. Others have posted similar setups here, and your story sounds familiar. About 7 years ago, after being amazed at low quality and high cost in the RV world, along with nothing that would do exactly what we wanted, I custom order an an enclosed trailer and converted it to meet our needs.

It has easily been the most fun, functional, and versatile rig for the lowest cost, I've experienced. We went from two tents, and our big Ford passenger van to this. Not much more than a "hard-walled" tent, it is strong, dry, secure, small footprint (7x16), easy to tow even with my SUV.
image.php

Made to haul our kayaks and mountain bikes:
image.php

It will sleep 6 pretty comfortably: (click clack sofa in the front for two).
image.php

Even has an A/C enclosure system that is E-track mounted, and can be removed or installed as needed depending on the season:
image.php

Anyhow, it won't impress the neighbors, but that's not the point. It is so convenient that our gear stays in the trailer, and we simply remove, what we don't need for that trip. All our cooking gear and supplies stay in totes, and we just add foodstuffs, clothing and hit the road. It is so handy, we have even used it for day trips, (kayaking, fishing, hauling gear for friends). It's easier to hookup the trailer than to unload/reload boats or bikes or whatever using the vehicle itself.

Now, with the kids grown, it mostly just us and two knuckle-headed dogs, and folks we know, who want to tag along on the next outdoor adventure.

Well, that's as usual, too many words in my post, if anyone has made it this far, here's "the rest of the story" on our trailer conversion:
7x16 Cargo Conversion

There are so many great options these days to keep enjoying the outdoors, Hammock systems, roof top tents (even mount them on a small open trailer), sky is the limit. Example:
989bc35256c4ee14427b538a0bfa1ed8.jpg

There's something for everyone, in the RV world, but for me "all the comforts of home" means I might as well be at home. ::ke:

Best,

bany

Impressed me, I like it!

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
@normaldave

I like that! Minimal is best.

We did a 7*16 conversion. Keep threatening the wife I'm gonna sell it and do a 8*24!

TimBray

Took my wife on her first camping trip ever while we were dating (Vogel SP) back in '80. Bought our first pop-up in '85. After 3 pop-ups and 2 TTs, our last camper was an '04 5er we bought new. Sold it about this time last year. Really miss camping in the mountains and at St. Andrews in PCB. :cry: