Clover is sprouting. ?

BassHunter25

im establishing some white Dutch clover plots. I have three nice green carpet plots about a quarter to half inch high. Besides hopefully getting rain how do I make sure it does well what’s the best fertilizer regimen. This is first time planting clover.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
im establishing some white Dutch clover plots. I have three nice green carpet plots about a quarter to half inch high. Besides hopefully getting rain how do I make sure it does well what’s the best fertilizer regimen. This is first time planting clover.
Without a soil test I would apply 300 -400 pounds/acre 13-13-13.For maximum benefit the soil ph should be around 6.5

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Without a soil test I would apply 300 -400 pounds/acre 13-13-13.For maximum benefit the soil ph should be around 6.5

Why wouldn't you go with 0-20-20??

BassHunter25

And while we are on topic. And I am pretty dumb when it domes to this kind of stuff. What do the numbers mean in fertilizer. I have a few bags of 10-10-10.
That’s what I’ve been using so far.
These food plots have been established for several years but we aren’t allowed to lime on the property.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
And while we are on topic. And I am pretty dumb when it domes to this kind of stuff. What do the numbers mean in fertilizer. I have a few bags of 10-10-10.
That’s what I’ve been using so far.
These food plots have been established for several years but we aren’t allowed to lime on the property.

Triple 10 is a standard fert commonly used. My preference is triple 19. H

The number show the percentages of N P K in the mix. Google NPK and it will explain it.

Why no lime?

GeorgeShu

They stand for Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potasium, N-P-K, the numbers represent the percent of each nutrient, 10% nitrogen, etc. 50 lb bag would have 5 lbs of each nutrient.

BassHunter25

Triple 10 is a standard fert commonly used. My preference is triple 19. H

The number show the percentages of N P K in the mix. Google NPK and it will explain it.

Why no lime?

Just wondering how to know what number died what or is needed.

It’s pine plantation. Land owner says lime has shown to slow the growth of pines?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

It’s pine plantation. Land owner says lime has shown to slow the growth of pines?

A soil test is the only way to determine how much of a nutrient is needed.

Never heard of the theory your landowner has re lime.

across the river

You can send a soil sample to the county extension office for testing, or you can buy a cheap self run tests at Lowes or Home Depot. Those aren't perfect, but they are usually in the vicinity. Clover will produce its own nitrogen, so as Flash mentioned, I usually go with a fertilizer with 0 as the first number for clover. Nitrogen isn't going to hurt the clover, but if you have rye or grass or weeds in the clover, which I usually do to some extent, the nitrogen will increase the competition from those grass with you clover as the nitrogen will make those grasses take off. Adding fertilizer can help clover, but you need the pH between 6 and 7 for the clover take off. I would start there before I worried about fertilizer, because if the pH is low the fertilizer won't help a lot. Lime can raise the pH, but you typically add it six months before you plant, so it isn't an immediate result from it. Pines prefer a pH in the 5.5 to 6 range, which is why the landowner said what he said. Applying lime to a food plot though isn't going to affect the growth of the adjacent pine trees you don't lime. Unless he plans on planting pines on the spot you currently have your plots I don't see why it would be an issue. It isn't like you lime the road or plot and the pH of the surrounding dirt all around it goes up.

BassHunter25

No lime is in our lease. So I guess it is pretty important to the land owner.
But is there a way to increase ph without lime and already planted?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
No lime is in our lease. So I guess it is pretty important to the land owner.
But is there a way to increase ph without lime and already planted?

The are liquid type products but since you want to be compliant with your lease that would not be an option either.
You could try to convince the owner that lime in the open area will not affect the wooded areas.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Why wouldn't you go with 0-20-20??
Because it is the first planting of clover and the nitrogen is needed for initial growth. the first planting. After that it is a 0-20-20 that is needed as the newly established clover is making its own nirtigen.