clover recommendation

ucfireman

Looking for a couple of warm and couple cool season perennials as well as a few warm and cool season annuals. Want a year round clover plot
Area is moist but not swampy. PH is 5.8 now, will lime. Will kill everything with round up then disc. Want to wait till mid November if possible to let the leaves get down.
Dont rally want to use a nurse crop if I dont have to, dont want to spray again if I dont have to.

Dean

Crimson can do well in poor soil, may want to wait on the more 'expensive' clovers until you get the pH improved. Lime today could take 6+ months to move pH. Might want to consider soil building this year, create some biomass, wait on lime to work through and then next fall start moving plot to year around clovers, chicory etc.

Inatree

I have seen Durana do very well in 5.8 but it would benefit from liming. It takes two years to get established anyway. So get started.
Lime and Plant Durana Aug-Oct. Mix in some Chicory
Lime again in late spring and bush hog.
You have to keep in cut, Don't let weeds put on seedheads.
Lime again and bush hog in late summer /early fall. Overseed with fall crops, (beans peas, brassicas).
You win
Shoot da deers

HuntingFool

If you are going to plant Durana I would use Pennington. I have used different ones and have found this to be much better than the others. Have been very disappointed in WTI. Won't buy it again.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Durana,patriot,Medium red ,Advantage Ladino for perennials clover.
Add some crimson,chicory and brassicas in the fall. Is what I have.

Ihunt

Duranna is tougher and will tolerate lower Ph and droughts better.

WTI is imo “tastier” to the deer but is more fickle. It needs a good PH and really thrives in moist (not flooded) soil.

I would base my choice on your dirt and PH.

I do not have any experience with Medium Red clover but have heard many good things about it.

ShortMagFan

I’ve got Durana plots in their 7th year of production. I mow in may after turkey season, then mow again late August/early September and spray Poast and Butyrac-200 a couple weeks later. Fertilize about now. Impossible to keep weeds and grasses out but I’ve come to belief they actually provide shade during the hottest part of summer and the clover will pop in October after the herbicides and fertilizer

stinkin

I'm a little frustrated trying plant quality food plots. Ive resorted to planting smaller plots around my acreage and trying to follow instructions to the letter. I recently planted some WTI white clover mix. We experienced a drought but we got a little rain and I went ahead, however, it took a recent hurricane to deliver some more rain after about 10 days from planting. I am using a roller (not a cultipacker). I disced in fertilizer, then rolled, then broadcast seed, then rolled again....it's been 2 weeks since planting and one week since the first rain....no germination...the rain was over 3 inches in two days...should I wrap this up as a bust?

GeorgeShu

Not yet, clovers take a while to germinate and prefer cooler soil temps. Be patient. At the very worse you have plenty of time to overseed with grains and/or greens. Good luck

treemanjohn

Banned
Seeds have survival built into their DNA they will germinate when it's in their best interest

I spread durana last fall and there was about 6 puddles of standing water. They were full for about 2 months. The clover sprouts appeared in December when the water dried. I was very surprised

ShortMagFan

I'm a little frustrated trying plant quality food plots. Ive resorted to planting smaller plots around my acreage and trying to follow instructions to the letter. I recently planted some WTI white clover mix. We experienced a drought but we got a little rain and I went ahead, however, it took a recent hurricane to deliver some more rain after about 10 days from planting. I am using a roller (not a cultipacker). I disced in fertilizer, then rolled, then broadcast seed, then rolled again....it's been 2 weeks since planting and one week since the first rain....no germination...the rain was over 3 inches in two days...should I wrap this up as a bust?

Durana in particular seems to always use the first fall to put down roots as opposed to sprouting into a pretty good plot. But it will take off the spring after planting

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
It takes perennial clover 14-21 days in PERFECT weather conditions to germinate.

Latest posts