Clover seed

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It will lay in/on the ground until the conditions are right for germination. Heat, moisture and seed to soil contact are a couple of those conditions. My Durana clover dropped seed in April/May (and longer with Mother Natures help) and I expect it to start germinating soon.

The seed you buy has been scarified, meaning that the hard outside coating of the clover seed has been thinned, ruffed up or cut, to allow moisture to enter and the germination process to start, again, while everything is right.

I overseeded my perennial clover plots (as a back up) September 27th and I don't expect any of it to have germinated because it was so hot and so dry. With the rain we'll get (fingers crossed) this week, it will start the germination process and I should see some of that clover germinated and growing by the rut. It really won't do much this year (the new white clover) till March of next year. Crimson clover, if you planted that, you'll see if grow this fall and moderately quickly.

deathwish

It will lay in/on the ground until the conditions are right for germination. Heat, moisture and seed to soil contact are a couple of those conditions. My Durana clover dropped seed in April/May (and longer with Mother Natures help) and I expect it to start germinating soon.

The seed you buy has been scarified, meaning that the hard outside coating of the clover seed has been thinned, ruffed up or cut, to allow moisture to enter and the germination process to start, again, while everything is right.

I overseeded my perennial clover plots (as a back up) September 27th and I don't expect any of it to have germinated because it was so hot and so dry. With the rain we'll get (fingers crossed) this week, it will start the germination process and I should see some of that clover germinated and growing by the rut. It really won't do much this year (the new white clover) till March of next year. Crimson clover, if you planted that, you'll see if grow this fall and moderately quickly.
This is my first year to sew clover, we sewed an acer and just as we got it sewed it came a light shower on it and i have noticed where the field is shaded the clover is coming up better than where the full sun is. I was hoping the heat and moisture was having a effect. After the inch of rain we got Saturday morning we should see the rest of the field showing some green this week (hopefully).We seeded the field October 1st.

Canuck5

Yup, I wouldn't panic yet!!! :) I think you will be fine. Clover does tolerate shade more than anything else, and it certainly was a little cooler and maybe had more moisture there.

ucfireman

Not to hi jack the thread but I have a question about over seeding clover.
Clover has stolons correct? or just roots?
Would a light discing do anything to cause the clover to spread? Like Burmuda runners do when they are cut.
Or just leave the soil untouched and throw the seed on the hard dirt. that was disced when originally planted?

Canuck5

Some clovers have stolons and some clovers don't. To thicken a stand of perennial white clover, which has stolons, just overseed it. To broadcast wheat or another cereal grain over top, a light (very light) discing before broadcasting is good. Packing after is even better.

This is a picture of Durana, naturally reseeding itself in November of last year, with no help from me.

Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg

Canuck5

That's an 11 year old Durana plot, which I've only limed, fertilized, sprayed and let Nature take it's course. Today, it looks very pitiful, but it will be jumping out of the ground with the rain we'll get this week.

ucfireman

Am thinking of Alyce clover (warm season annual) and either Berseem, Arrowleaf or yellow sweet blossom for planting in an open creek bottom.
Should I just mix the seeds together and spread now or do the cool season now and wait for the Alyce?
Its cut short, (weeds and privet) about 3 inches and I don't plan on discing but can if I need to. Its a sandy loam of course.

Albuds

I need some advise. The folks that spray my foodplots mistakenly sprayed glycosphate on two of my Durana fields in September. At the time it was bone dry and there was virtually no clover visible.
Will the clover come back from the stolons with rain this fall?
Thanks

Ihunt

I need some advise. The folks that spray my foodplots mistakenly sprayed glycosphate on two of my Durana fields in September. At the time it was bone dry and there was virtually no clover visible.
Will the clover come back from the stolons with rain this fall?
Thanks

Yep. You should be fine

Canuck5

^^^^^^^^^^ Also, if you let your clover go to seed, you'll have your own seed bank, which will start germinating this week.

TurkeyDreamer

Side question but still relevant to the OP question....why wouldn’t one want to allow annual clover to go to seed? Would it be mainly so that summer plots could be planted more effectively?

nrh0011

Side question but still relevant to the OP question....why wouldn’t one want to allow annual clover to go to seed? Would it be mainly so that summer plots could be planted more effectively?

I cant think of a reason why one wouldn't want it to go to seed, unless they just don't want clover in a particular location for the years to come. If they had summer plots in mind, you'd want it to reach some level of maturity to get the N benefit anyways.

TurkeyDreamer

It seems folks always say “if” you let your clover go to seed. I’ve planted clover of some sort for about 3 years now and just figured natural reseeding was a good thing so I never considered not letting it go to seed.

Canuck5

Well, I don't mow, but if you mow to control broadleaf weeds (a little too often), you will reduce the amount of clover that could go to seed.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well, I don't mow, but if you mow to control broadleaf weeds (a little too often), you will reduce the amount of clover that could go to seed.

Which is why I'm like you and don't mow my clover plots.

Canuck5

I've delegated my mowing responsibilities to my deer!!! If they don't mow, then they know what's gonna happen ...... or maybe it will, anyway, LOL