Cobia season cannot come soon enough!

jdgator

Down here on the gulf coast they catch them by standing on ladders placed on sandbars just off the beach. I've never done it because my ladder doesn't have a cup holder for my beer. But plenty of guys catch fish this way.

17764d1298253175-step-ladder-fishing-001-jpg

killswitch

Never seen that before. However, I have seen ladders on the bow of a boat tied down with ratchet straps. Inexpensive way to sight fish, I reckon. :D

fairweather

I'm an engineer. Let me know if you need some help with a cup holder and cooler for your beer. First things first.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I am counting down the days!
I would trade a successful Cobia season for a successful turkey season every year! They give me the shakes as good or better than the thunder chickens...
This year, I have a brand new ride that is more capable than any I've ever had before.
Would love to be a part of any cobia hunting expedition we can get going... all I really require is it good comfortable night's sleep!
cobia.jpg
Sight fished this one up off PCB years ago on my first dedicated Cobia trip ( in my little 17-footer). Several have left me at the altar since then!
I love sight-fishing the run from Cape San Blas westward to Pensacola, and this year I am also looking forward to blind fishing for them in the Big Bend during the summer...

MudDucker

Staff member
I haven't targeted Mr. Brown Suit in awhile. Might be time, but no thanks on the ladder, I prefer my ol' 24' pro.

flatsmaster

Cobia are usually toward end of March out of Ponce on Eastcoast of Florida ... on ur ladder pic we put on a wetsuit and hunted divers like that a long time ago in the Indian river and smashed them ... but I'm ready to do battle with 1 or 3

jdgator

I just moved to Fairhope, Al during July. So hopefully I can catch them around Gulf Shores / Orange Beach.

Rabun

Looking forward hooking up to a crab cruncher myself. Got this one a couple years ago while fishing over an artificial reef off of Cape San Blas. I've never really targeted them, but am always on the lookout while anchored over reefs or cruising the bars. I always have a Pin fish out the back of the boat while anchored up...never know what might grab and go...

IMG_1594 small.JPG

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
What's not to love?
I hate it when a 80 pounder will mouth my jig and drop it, leaving tooth marks on my leader in 8 feet of crystal clear water directly below my boat because I froze instead of trying to play keep-away with the bait!

swamp hunter

My Fishing Pards and I were out a couple months ago and I caught a Whopper of a Nurse Shark...10 to 12 footer. When I final got it boat side 2 Cobia followed it up.
My Pards tried everything to get them to bite as they hovered around 10 ft. from the boat.
Finally I stuck the shark rod in the holder and tied a Snatch hook on my spare rod..Took me about a minute and the first one was hooked up , Grabbed another rod and snatched the other one a couple minutes later.
Ain't gotta bite with a big snatch hook..I'm gonna eat me some Cobia I get one in my sights , none are safe....

Rabun

My Fishing Pards and I were out a couple months ago and I caught a Whopper of a Nurse Shark...10 to 12 footer. When I final got it boat side 2 Cobia followed it up.
My Pards tried everything to get them to bite as they hovered around 10 ft. from the boat.
Finally I stuck the shark rod in the holder and tied a Snatch hook on my spare rod..Took me about a minute and the first one was hooked up , Grabbed another rod and snatched the other one a couple minutes later.
Ain't gotta bite with a big snatch hook..I'm gonna eat me some Cobia I get one in my sights , none are safe....

Interesting...never thought of that. I've had many cobia cruising around the boat uninterested in any of our offerings. Could have easily snatched them. I looked at the florida regs (I mostly fish FL) and it appears snatching them is perfectly legal. That is the case...correct? Did you just use a normal big treble or was it one of those weighted ones?

swamp hunter

Weighted Trebel..
I use to know a guy that would tie off to the Sea Buoy off Port Everglades shipping channel and just hang onto the Buoy and spear gun Cobia as they showed up.