Cohutta access from Cabin

ArmouredSaint

My family us wanting to get a cabin in north Georgia for a few days, and I am wanting to try some bear hunting in Cohutta while I'm there (first time bear hunter). My question is, if we get a cabin near Epworth, actually on Sand Rock Mountain, how hard would it be to access the Cohutta WMA or wilderness? Thanks in advance. God bless.

ripplerider

First of all, check the new regulations and make sure Cohutta will have a hunt going on on the dates you will be there. Or are you bowhunting? If so, it's open for a month straight I believe during archery season. If I were in Epworth and wanted to hunt Cohutta I'd go south on Highway 5 toward Blue Ridge take a right on Hwy 2 and stay on it till I got to the junction at Watson Gap (which is quite a ways). During rifle hunts they used to put a temporary check-in station there. From there it would depend on where exactly you wanted to hunt. It's a big place.

ArmouredSaint

Thanks. I am planning on a bowhunt, and I've looked at the dates. I almost forgot about that. I'm planning on a scouting trip soon, so I don't know exactly where I eat to hunt yet. I'm just trying to find a cabin in a good location. I found one on Fort Mountain, but I don't know if there is an access road from there into Cohutta. Still trying to call places and see, but when you tell cabin rental places that your planning a hunt they get all antsy thinking your going to try to hunt on their property.

whitetailfreak

Thanks. I am planning on a bowhunt, and I've looked at the dates. I almost forgot about that. I'm planning on a scouting trip soon, so I don't know exactly where I eat to hunt yet. I'm just trying to find a cabin in a good location. I found one on Fort Mountain, but I don't know if there is an access road from there into Cohutta. Still trying to call places and see, but when you tell cabin rental places that your planning a hunt they get all antsy thinking your going to try to hunt on their property.

Easy access to Cohutta from Fort MTN. Conasauga Rd, Gates Chapel, or Cool Springs depending on where on the mountain you're staying.

Last edited: