Cohutta DNR map?

WoodlandScout82

Hey guys. Would say of you happen to have one of the Cohutta maps from the check stations(the ones with the game clearings marked). I had one but can't find it. I went hiking way back in there yesterday and found a clearing not on sattelite images. If you can post an up-clise picture I would greatly appreciate it!

cohuttahunter

The topo maps online have the openings marked. To me they are better than the older PDF versions I think you are asking for since you can zoom and crop showing more detail of the area you are in. They can also be downloaded and printed. You go to georgiawildlife.com, click locations, click the wma you are interested in if memory serves me correctly. You can also toggle between views (satellite, topo, etc.). I'm not sure if the satellite views show the openings as I have always been better served by topo maps and don't use the satellite view often.

WoodlandScout82

The topo maps online have the openings marked. To me they are better than the older PDF versions I think you are asking for since you can zoom and crop showing more detail of the area you are in. They can also be downloaded and printed. You go to georgiawildlife.com, click locations, click the wma you are interested in if memory serves me correctly. You can also toggle between views (satellite, topo, etc.). I'm not sure if the satellite views show the openings as I have always been better served by topo maps and don't use the satellite view often.
I have a great topo of the entire area, I just followed a long long old road bed and found it at the furthest point I went. I didn't go any further because I saw a bear cub step into the field and upon stalking. Little closer, I could see the sow lounging around in the tall grass. Google's sattelite images don't give me any reference and the clearing isn't visible. I will check the link you sent. Much appreciated!

strothershwacker

I've got some of those little printed maps from the check station but I have found openings on Cohutta that are not on those maps. I've marked out the plots on my Nat Geo map that I carry in my pack. If you followed a good road bed to it then it should be on the printed map. I can PM you a picture of one later.

Ok cool. Thank you. I know about that interactive map on the DNR website but found the Nat Geo Quad Topo maps on their website too. Was looking for more of a big/more detailed topo map to laminate and bring out with me to use to navigate.

Killer Kyle

Part of the reason that you may have seen an opening that was not on a map is because the Cohutta technicians worked like dogs last year reclaiming openings and ramping up their planting game. From what I have heard, they have put in a lot of great work over there in the course of the last year, and they plan to continue doing so. Thats what I have heard through the grapevine though. Haven't checked it out for myself personally.