Cohutta Success X3!

A huge thanks to the fellas that contribute to the acorn reports on here every year...due to you guys' report this year, in addition to what I saw myself, I opted for a new spot lower on Cohutta after studying the maps for a week. The first evening I ended up seeing a total of 8 bears, the sixth one is in the first pic with me. Since my wife's cousin had gone with me, and had never shot one, I figured we'd put him in that spot the following morning, but showed up to find someone already there. After walking what seemed like endless amounts of miles on those ridges, we came back out to find the other guys had gone, so we slipped back into the same spot as the previous evening. after about 30 minutes, we could hear a bear feeding in the bottom in front of us, but out of sight. Within a few minutes, we had a small bear within 4 yards (both of us hunting on the ground!!), but he was far from legal. Long story short, we ended that evening with the cousin harvesting his first bear, and me shooting another about 5 minutes later in the same spot, about 5 yards apart! Needless to say it was an awesome weekend in the mountains!IMG_20181012_184202.jpgIMG_20181013_173242.jpg

FOLES55

You guys are killing them!!

Buckman18

Fine bears! Congratulations!

Killer Kyle

Two bears in the spot at the same time. That is a hunt you will never forget! Way to get it done man. That is freaking awesome man! Whats the story on that cannon you're toting?

Rabun

That is a honey hole for sure. Amazing the others left it but it sure worked out for y'all. Congratulations on an amazing hunt!

twincedargap

that's awesome. congrats. i'm going to take the same advice, punt on the high stuff as I walked >4 miles sunday around 2700-3000', and didn't see any bear sign, quite a lot of red oaks dropping & pig sign, but no bear. BTW, good news is I've dropped a few pounds since bear opener. these hills will drain you.

Thanks, fellas, I sure appreciate all the congrats! Kyle, that would be my Rem700 aac-sd 300 blackout. It's a 5r 1:7 rifling gun, topped with a discontinued Leupold Vari X-3m I believe... 4.5-14X56 with the barrel cut-out. It's the boone and crockett reticle with the side focus turret (way too much scope for the gun, I know). The suppressor is a thunderbeast ultra-9, which I can't sing the praises of enough!

that's awesome. congrats. i'm going to take the same advice, punt on the high stuff as I walked >4 miles sunday around 2700-3000', and didn't see any bear sign, quite a lot of red oaks dropping & pig sign, but no bear. BTW, good news is I've dropped a few pounds since bear opener. these hills will drain you.

I know the feeling! when we showed up to find that guy in the area I planned to return to, I knew a lot of walking lay ahead. I too found a lot of red oaks dropping, with a white or two mixed in, but hardly any sign on them, none of which was fresh anyways. Kinda had me confused for a little bit. Every red oak I passed that was dropping, but had no sign, my hope faded a little more, haha!