Cohutta Wilderness on Fire

antnye

Is it burning slow enough to kill mature trees? I fish native headwaters too more in central CNF, i would have thought how dry it was it would be a quick fast burn across the floor. But if its been decades since a burn that is a lot of fuel on the floor.

That's what I was thinking. I Didn't really worry about it until he expressed his concerns. I know the long leaf pines have taken a beating up there already with that fungus or whatever it is that is killing them.

28,000 acres burned. 75% of the wilderness area burned. Thats enough room for 2 or 3 of us.

You can have big bald. I ain't chasing that gobbler off the back of tearbritches again. Burned or not :bounce:

ChattNFHunter

That's what I was thinking. I Didn't really worry about it until he expressed his concerns. I know the long leaf pines have taken a beating up there already with that fungus or whatever it is that is killing them.

You talking about the Hemlocks and the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid Infestation? I was under the impression that it was a low burning brush fire and because of that it wouldn't kill the mature trees. But I hadn't thought about root damage and such. A biologist at UGA mentioned that fall is the best time for a burn since the trees are dormant. Hopefully the laurel and mature trees around the streams will survive and continue to shade the trout.