Cold February Rain

Thread starter #1
Who's laughing now, Kyle???

New Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt ----- $160
New Scientific Angler Frequency Boost ----- $50
New Cabelas Wind River reel ------$30
Freshly tied mop flies ----$2
Dumb, hungry dough bellies ----- Free

Having the place all to myself and catching 30+ in the pouring rain and whipping wind on a 50 degree day in February ----- PRICELESS!!

I was sitting by the phone all day waiting for you to call, yet to no avail. I guess this is payback.
Seems like you took them to school in the cold rain! I need to get out there soon and slay some dough bellies. It's always good fun.
I'm surprised DNR didn't check your pockets on the way out. I know you had a couple flopping around in the chest pack!! ::ke:
I fished Smith Creek DH last week with a friend who was home from NY, and who was desperately seeking some time next to a bubbling creek. It fished fairly good. Getting your nymph down was the name of the game that cold day. He fished daylight to dark, and managed 2 (got a little rusty since he has been in New Yak three years), and I joined him at 11:00 a.m. and cleaned up behind him with a WD-40, and an olive BH micro leech.
I'm glad you braved the cold rain and got out there. Tougher than most of us!!!

I've gotta say.... I've never fished a mop and it's gotta be the ugliest "fly" I've ever seen, but it sure does seem to catch fish. I may give em a try, and hope my ancestors don't come up out of the grave and get me :bounce:

Thread starter #6
I've gotta say.... I've never fished a mop and it's gotta be the ugliest "fly" I've ever seen, but it sure does seem to catch fish. I may give em a try, and hope my ancestors don't come up out of the grave and get me :bounce:
I never tied one till a few weeks ago. The one shown here has a chartreuse beadhead just for gaudiness, but I've tied some with bronze heads and olive/tan dubbing and I've got to admit, they look REAL buggy. It's a dead-on perfect imitation of a crane fly larva.

They can't say nothin', they probably fished in the park with stickbait and wasper nests. :bounce:

Good stuff, Wes. The creeks around here are still about running out in the road. I tied me a few of those mop flies, haven't used them yet.

They can't say nothin', they probably fished in the park with stickbait and wasper nests. :bounce:
....tied to a Birch branch

Pap would tell me about whooping out a nest with a Pine branch for bait as a kid. I don't think I ever saw him catch a trout on a spinning outfit until he was in his 80s. He was a purist most of his life and felt a trout should be caught on a flyrod with drys.

Cmp1

Swamp Yankee
Who's laughing now, Kyle???

New Fenwick Aetos 9' 5wt ----- $160
New Scientific Angler Frequency Boost ----- $50
New Cabelas Wind River reel ------$30
Freshly tied mop flies ----$2
Dumb, hungry dough bellies ----- Free

Having the place all to myself and catching 30+ in the pouring rain and whipping wind on a 50 degree day in February ----- PRICELESS!!

Nice catches,,,, bake em with lemon butter,,,,