Cold weather base layer

Trophy buck

Any reccomendations for a cold weather base layer. Trying to reduce the number of layers I wear during the cold season.

ryanh487

In GA I've never needed more than standard long johns as a base layer with pants and a hoodie as layer 2 and then insulated bibs and a parka as layer 3 for the coldest days. Liner socks under wool socks on your feet and some good gloves and headwear and you should be set for any cold we'll see around here.

IIICrkRepr

UA 4.0 Expedition Weight, not made to move around in (you will overheat quickly) but for sitting in a tree I have not found anything better. I went up a size, found it a more comfortable fit.

GeorgiaBob

In my experience with very cold weather I have preferred polypro long underwear and silk socks under wool boot socks. For extreme cold adding silk longjohns is more effective than additional over clothes. Also silk gloves worn under your preferred gloves will make a big difference in very cold conditions.

Polypropylene long underwear will wick moisture away from skin and has very good insulating properties. I bought mine from an Army/Navy surplus store, and three pair lasted me over 10 years. You will likely only need normal field clothes and a jacket over polypro.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Wool is my base layer. And even if it gets wet, it`ll still keep you warm.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
A few years ago switched over to merino wool for my bases and havent looked back. AS much as I loved my UA bottoms for the 10 or more years I wore them, I havent put them back on since I started with the merino. Plenty warm and much more comfy. Course quality base layers will only help with quality mid and outer as well :)

Kris87

I'm a merino wool fan too...however, its definitely not the warmest choice. It has a ton of benefits as mentioned above. I wear it more in warmer weather than I do really, really cold weather as it doesn't hold odor as bad as synthetics. When it gets really cold, I wear a light merino t-shirt, followed by a grid fleece type synthetic(my choice is Sitka mid and heavy zip-t's) That way the merino is regulating my temp, but the synthetic is doing the insulating. Works better this way.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I'm a merino wool fan too...however, its definitely not the warmest choice. It has a ton of benefits as mentioned above. I wear it more in warmer weather than I do really, really cold weather as it doesn't hold odor as bad as synthetics. When it gets really cold, I wear a light merino t-shirt, followed by a grid fleece type synthetic(my choice is Sitka mid and heavy zip-t's) That way the merino is regulating my temp, but the synthetic is doing the insulating. Works better this way.

That’s exactly what I do as well. I’m interested in seeing Sitka’s new merino line.

davidhelmly

Any reccomendations for a cold weather base layer. Trying to reduce the number of layers I wear during the cold season.

I'm not one of the "I just wear shorts and a T shirt all season in GA" guys, if it's below 40 degrees and I'm sitting in a stand holding a bow, I'm cold!! I've got some UA that I like ok but I bought some Cabelas Thermal Zone Standhunter top and bottoms a few years back and I love it, by far the warmest I have.
It's actually on sale now too.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/clo...ith-polartec-reg-regular/1396346.uts?slotId=4

Jim Boyd

I just sort of mix and match in the south because it is so rarely < 25 F or so - in these conditions, I am rarely cold then.

In Illinois (where I have hunted in -6 F), I use UA and then the high end Cabela’s mid layer (forget the name but it is sewn in zones and is multi colored). With this combination - I can then select an outer to match that day and 12 hours in the stand is no problem at all.

When I think of the most common reason hunters abandon the stand (when they should STAY in the stand), being cold is probably the #1 excuse.

I do believe it is an excuse, too - because it is entirely preventable.

Like David, I am often cold also but have found ways to eliminate that problem from the equation.

Good luck!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I wear a base layer that is wool on the inside and polypropylene on the outside. I don’t know what you call cold, but I hunt frequently in the single digits and teens. Also a good warm hat is the best long underwear you can wear.